Menu

SWO-too redundant?

OregonNative

I just don't get SWO. Book D seems to combine grammar (we already use AG) and some writing (which I know some skip over due to using independent writing programs). Book A has my son name the pictures and then write and trace the letter of the beginning sound. He already writes the letters in handwriting and learns the sounds in OPG.

It doesn't seem like we need SWO at all. Especially for my 1st grader. Is there an actual spelling program out there where your child learns to memorize/spell the word and then is given a test? Or is this not the "right" way to do it?

We are using C at the moment and I think when we finish, I'm switching to vocab lists. I'm going to write up lists and have her look up the definitions and use them correctly in sentences and then test. She is a natural speller so I want to focus more on the vocab aspect. We are also using R & S phonics so she gets specific phonics instruction.

We're in C. I do a pretest to see how many words he can already spell (my son is also a natural speller) and then we do a page at a time. Each time we do a page, I quiz him on the words he missed. He retains them pretty well and can remember them accurately during the review lessons when it asks for his trouble words. He likes the puzzles and the setup, so I think we'll just keep going with it, at least for a while. We'll probably swap to vocabulary lists, too, at some point, most likely ones taken from his reading.

We are using C at the moment and I think when we finish, I'm switching to vocab lists. I'm going to write up lists and have her look up the definitions and use them correctly in sentences and then test. She is a natural speller so I want to focus more on the vocab aspect. We are also using R & S phonics so she gets specific phonics instruction.

If a child is a natural reader-or at least reading above level, would they need phonics?