Menu

Niacin (B-3) questions...

DH and I watched Food Matters on Netflix on Saturday night. I'm not looking for a food battle, but I was more than a bit skeptical about some of the claims regarding using only food and nutrients to completely heal life-threatening diseases. The film advocates a raw-eating diet, among other things, but that's neither here nor there, though...

What I did focus on, though, was supplementing with niacin to overcome depression. The amounts they suggested were frightening to me -- upwards of 10,000 mg a day. YIKES! I can't imagine the flushing and sleep problems that could cause! It was stated that there was never a known death or illness from niacin overdose.

But, has anyone have any experience using niacin for depression? Impact? Side effects? Dosage used?

Edited by BikeBookBread

So I took a modest 100 mg this morning, and I felt like I was burning from the inside. My whole body flushed and felt pin-pricky. It lasted for a good five minutes. My face and hands were bright red. My back felt hot and prickly, too, but I didn't check to see if it was red.

If I'm going to keep this up, I'd like some encouragement that either a) it works or b) the burning is going to subside...

Niacin, all B vitamins actually, can be damaging to the liver in high doses. Doses of Niacin over about 500-750mg a day are recommended to be monitored by a doctor so that liver studies can be done. I had to discontinue my routine vitamins, which included high doses of B vitamins because of increasing liver enzymes. They have since leveled off again and I can take smaller supplements and my prescribed 500mg of Niacin a day. The other reason niacin is often monitored by a physician is because they often prescribe ASA therapy to counter side effects based on dosing, besides using the extended release. :)

So I took a modest 100 mg this morning, and I felt like I was burning from the inside. My whole body flushed and felt pin-pricky. It lasted for a good five minutes. My face and hands were bright red. My back felt hot and prickly, too, but I didn't check to see if it was red.

If I'm going to keep this up, I'd like some encouragement that either a) it works or b) the burning is going to subside...

If you're going to take Niacin, take it at night AND take the time-released kind. Be sure you don't have anything sugary near the time you take it. (DH found that milk triggered a lot of flushing for him.) I don't know about effectiveness for depression...but it will help your triglycerides!