Menu

Grammar Question

Unicorn.

Does the following sentence have an indirect object?

"Gail invited us to the wedding"

The answer key says that us is an indirect object, I say us is the direct object.

Whom did Gail invite?.... us

You can't say Gail invited to the wedding, or Gail invited wedding, so doesn't us have to be the direct object, and the sentence not have an indirect object?

Or am I missing something here?

Does the following sentence have an indirect object?

"Gail invited us to the wedding"

The answer key says that us is an indirect object, I say us is the direct object.

Whom did Gail invite?.... us

You can't say Gail invited to the wedding, or Gail invited wedding, so doesn't us have to be the direct object, and the sentence not have an indirect object?

Or am I missing something here?

No, you're correct. Us is the direct object, b/c the prepositional phrase "to the wedding" preempts its being able to be the I.O.

COmpare it to "I sent Sam the letter." The letter is the DO, and Sam is the IO; in the sentence you're quoting, there is no "Sam"--there is only the letter. :)

No, you're correct. Us is the direct object, b/c the prepositional phrase "to the wedding" preempts its being able to be the I.O.

COmpare it to "I sent Sam the letter." The letter is the DO, and Sam is the IO; in the sentence you're quoting, there is no "Sam"--there is only the letter. :)

That's what I thought, but before I called the answer key wrong, I wanted some back-up! Thanks!:001_smile:

Your question reminds me of an issue we have been having. My daughter is doing "Basic language principles with Latin background". She is a fourth year Latin student, but her father is the one who teaches the Latin (because he himself took it in college & knows it pretty well). English Grammar is my specialty and I have never had any problem finding errors in the answer keys. I am lost when it comes to the Latin though. My daughter has already found two errors in the AK relating to the Latin portions of the lesson. I always have to wait till her dad gets home to confirm they are errors. I do love the curriculum and she is doing great with it, but it is very humbling to realize my daughter knows stuff I know nothing about. :D