Menu

Thinkpoint Virus Fake MS Security Essentials Warning

If ThinkPoint pops up on your computer, do not install it.

If you do, do not buy it. It is a scam virus which masquerades as a fake Microsoft Security Essentials infection.

So far, McAfee, Avast, and Malwarebytes have not removed it from my son's laptop. He cannot connect to the internet.

I have some links for removal tools that I am going to download to a thumb drive to try to get this off his computer. Otherwise, it goes to the computer tech on Thursday. He says it is very difficult and time-consuming to remove.

Update your virus and spyware protections just to be on the safe side. Be sure to do this at least weekly.

If ThinkPoint infects your computer, you may PM me and I will tell you what worked to get it off, should I or our computer tech succeed in doing so.

I removed it! Malwarebytes found some of it, another method I used found the rest, and DS2 changed back the proxy settings on the browsers so the computer would go online.

I upgraded from IE 7 to IE 8, and am now downloading 82 security updates for XP. Then I am going to download Avast (McAfee is on there, and I dislike that program). I think I'm going to purchase Malwarebytes.