Menu

Starting Points--co-op--books, content, podcasts?

Do we need to have the Quine's version of Frankenstein and Dr. Jekyll/Hyde? Or can we use any version? If we have group discussions, like a co-op or reading group, will it matter which version?

Is the Know What You Believe 2008 edition by Paul Little needed? Or can an older 2003 or 1999 edition work just as well? How much updating does the newer book(s) have? Anyone know?

Is Never Before in History a useful book? Does it cover history or assume basic factual knowledge of history?

How did you use the podcasts?

How did you organize your class? What did you include? Discussions? Audios? Lectures?

:confused:

Thanks

Cathy

"Never Before In History" is really, really outstanding.

It is not a standalone or disinterested American history spine. You would need to approach from a position of knowing the basics of early American history to be able to really understand and appreciate it.

It argues for the point of view that specific Christian beliefs, especially those of the Reformation, informed and guided a great deal of the early American history and law. It argues that quite well, but I am not sure that I agree with its view of Luther's view of the separation of church and state.

Having said that, it is very important, IMV, to recover the Christian aspects of our country's history that are beyond dispute. Not that I favor teaching a Providential view of history in public schools or anything like that, but I do think that a great of documentable, clearly demonstrable history is hidden from students specifically because it is Christian and that that does the teaching of history in this country a tremendous disservice all around. This book argues for changing that, and gives a lot of documentation.

I have seen Starting Points but do not own it and have not taught it. It is impressive to me, though. I am not sure whether it has sufficient teacher help for me. I don't think that it has sample answers to the student questions, for instance--perhaps someone who owns it could tell me for sure?