Menu

CPO science users- Do you test?

Blossom'sGirl

We are just starting section 6 of earth science and although I really like this science I feel like we lack in assessment. I have been assigning parts of the chapter assessment questions at the end of each chapter for a test but this kind of takes away review for my guys which, judging from the results, they could use. I really wish they offered just the test bank at a reasonable price, but this is not marketed for us small lot of homeschoolers.

Has anyone just come up with their own tests or have found some?

We're just using the end-of-chapter assessments, too.

After she reads a section, we discuss it (actually, we discuss while she reads), then she answers the section review questions orally. She hasn't needed any other review before taking the chapter assessment. If that should change, then I would probably make up an additional assessment.

We're using Earth Science and do science every day.

We've been using the end of chapter assessment as well (for CPO Life Science). My kids know that's what the test will be, so I am encouraging them to review it on their own and ask me questions (general questions to re-explain a topic, not "Mom, what is the answer to number 7?") Believe me, this in itself is a learning experience. For chapter 1, they did not even pick up the book to look over it. By week 3 they at least made an attempt (but really directed too many questions straight to me rather than looking for the answers themselves). We do go over difficult concepts after the test and continue to review through memory work.

BTW my kids are 8 and 10.

Brownie

Well it looks like we all are doing something similar with the assessments. I am doing this with a 5th and 7th grader and have been making the 7th grader do more problems than the 5th grader, but he did not do well on the last test. I think we will go over the assessments together then I will type up some questions based on them for the test (I was really trying to avoid this part).

Brownie - Is that your real name? My stepmother's real name was Brownie and I always think of her when you post. I think I will call her today.