Menu

Anger Management

Any advice to help a 7yo boy who gets really angry over little things? His personality has changed over the last few years--he gets easily angered and has full blown temper tantrums and/or starts crying at the drop of a hat. He goes to his room to cool down, but there is a lot of stomping and yelling and screaming on the way. Any advice for him (or for me)?

Any advice to help a 7yo boy who gets really angry over little things? His personality has changed over the last few years--he gets easily angered and has full blown temper tantrums and/or starts crying at the drop of a hat. He goes to his room to cool down, but there is a lot of stomping and yelling and screaming on the way. Any advice for him (or for me)?

Have you read the Explosive Child?

My DD1 has benefited from working through these issues when she is NOT currently upset. Some kids seem to need extra help with coping skills- some kids seem to have them naturally.

Some things that my DD has good success with- taking deep breaths when she starts to feel upset (sometimes she needs reminders), getting a hug, allowing her the chance to "start a situation over" (if she's rude or bossy, letting her have a chance to correct it instead or any discipline), and keeping a journal of her feelings after the fact. That's really helped because we can then when she wants or is ready talk about WHY something that to me seemed small made her so upset.