Menu

Beginning FLL 1 while using OPGTR?

When using OPGTR, when do you start FLL 1 and WWE1?

I have looked in my books and can't find this info.

Short brag...my 6yr old is doing so GREAT!!! I thought teaching him to read was going to be hard but he is clipping along like mad. I am so relieved as this is my first one to teach reading to. It is giving me the confidence that I can teach the other 2 when they are ready.

Is that what is usually done? My 6yr old hasn't started a handwriting program yet even though he taught himself to write all the letters. I do not think he can handle WWE or FLL yet. Isn't it around a certain lesson?

Is that what is usually done? My 6yr old hasn't started a handwriting program yet even though he taught himself to write all the letters. I do not think he can handle WWE or FLL yet. Isn't it around a certain lesson?

Don't quote me on this, because I don't remember for certain, but I think it is around lesson 140 in OPG that you can start FLL1 (and presumably WWE1.) But, remember, you don't have to either. You can wait until you think he's ready. We focused on reading, and DS finished OPG entirely a couple months before we started FLL1 in August. Still haven't started WWE1, cause I didn't think he'd be ready yet, but I think he's just about ready now. The plan is to finish the current handwriting workbook (which does have some sentence copywork in it) and then start WWE1 in January, just so I don't overload him with writing.

• 1 year later...

I started FLL at the same time as OPGTR, but waited on WWE until maybe 2/3-3/4 of the way through OPGTR. I remember reading a recommendation somewhere that suggested start WWE after a certain lesson in FLL, maybe around lesson 40ish? My only concern is that I don't see much value in having them copy something they can't read at least 90% of, so I hold off until that point and just have them copy from MCP Phonics Practice readers in the meantime. The first copywork sentence in WWE is "There were no roads," and my five year-old is only partway through the long vowel sounds in OPGTR, so she can only read 50% of those words (she actually only just learned the "oa" vowel pair this morning, so yesterday it would have been 25%). I'm guessing she'll be ready in about January.

Edited by go_go_gadget

Interesting. I never thought about *when* to start it! Ds was reading decently at the beginning of this year, so I started all 3. Most of what we're doing in OPGTR is review for him (we started around lesson 40), but occassionally we'll hit something new and I want to make sure we fill any gaps rather than start where he is totally challenged and have struggles because he hasn't learned something he should have.

I do feel like FLL moves REALLY slow. I feel like we've spent forever on nouns. That may be because I only do 2 lessons per week. But ds really understands what a noun is!

FLL1 is much easier than WWE1. I'd wait on WWE1 until the child is reading well and able to copy a short sentence easily. Some of those passages, even in the beginning of the book, are very difficult, so a little maturity is always a good thing with WWE. Some people even find that their kids aren't ready for WWE until 2nd grade. So basically, don't rush into WWE. Get your child reading well and learning to write his letters, then when he's ready, start WWE.

FLL, OTOH, really doesn't require reading or writing, so it can probably be started anytime really. There are a LOT of lessons on common vs. proper nouns. I liked FLL2 better than 1. Luckily, FLL1 does vary things a bit. It's not 45 lessons one after another on nouns. There are other things thrown in too, like picture study, story narration (easier than WWE), etc. We went to FLL1 from R&S2, and FLL1 actually felt less repetitive. :tongue_smilie: