Menu

Classical Conversations

nd293

I recently read The Core, and he author's emphasis on memory work really resonated with me. Over the past year I have become convinced that not focusing on this has been my biggest mistake in my dd's education.

We're neither Christian nor in the USA, so the Classical Conversations classes are not an option for us. However, I have been looking at the memory cards and audio CDs, and wondering if we could use these on our own to guide us.

Has anyone used the memory cards and audio CDs without the classes? How have you structured your learning? If you attend the classes, do you think it could be useful to use the materials in this way?

Any input appreciated!

Nikki in Australia

I am American and I am a Christian but we couldn't afford to join a community at the beginning of the school year. I subscribe to C3 online, which gives me access to tons of CC resources, including the stuff tutors use in their classes each week and I have found it to be a fabulous resource for my family. We love CC and will be glad to join our local community in January but for now, the memory work cd, timeline cards and C3online is a great alternative.

Yup, it'd work perfectly. You just sit down with a pencil and some coffee... preferably all by yourself. If it were me, I'd choose to insert the same topic that CC uses... but your own definition for English grammar... Really... the secular use... not in a group will be almost perfect... you just will maybe tweak a couple of things..

I'd then schedule in things like whatever you're working on in Latin and Arabic... right into the plan. When you import the cd... then when you burn your new one... you'll just insert whatever you've changed or added... perfect :)

Invite a couple of families over... and presto... you've got a group!! I'd choose to do it with a total of 3 or 4 families and split it up by quarter... or a couple of subjects each... When you do a TIME and a DAY :) you've got more of a chance of succeeding :)

I do it. I did invite a couple of other families to do it with us and we enjoy it. We tweak it a bit, though. We don't do the english grammar. We use States and Capitals and Geography Songs for geography. I get a bunch of books and videos on the topic to study at home. It works great!

Thanks for the great ideas! Carrie and Amy, would you subscribe online as blessedathome suggests, or just go with the cards and CDs? (I haven't looked at the online option, not sure about costs, but as we're already shipping anything we overseas, I am alway looking for ways to cut costs - international postage is a budget killer!)

Nikki

I can't afford the C3 community. I wish I could. If you are not a member of a formal group, it's very pricey.

You need the guide, the Veritas Press Cards, and the resource cd and/or the resource cd/audio. Ideally, you would have both. I've been told the resource cd doesn't work on a Mac (I bought mine from a Mac user). The mp3's of the songs are on the resource cd if you want to cut a bit of cost and feel comfortable making your own playlists.

I also highly recommend Scholastic's Everything You Need to Know About Science and Scholastic's Everything You Need to Know about History (World or American depending on the cycle you buy). The memory work mostly follows the topics in order and these make great primary resources for your topics.