Menu

Help! Need help with long/short vowels and doubled consonants

debbielong

I have an almost 9-year-old who learned to read very quickly at the age of five. I still did some phonics with him, using Phonics Pathways. Mostly, I focused on spelling, as spelling does not come naturally to him.

He still does not seem to automatically register short- and long-vowel words. He will confuse pinned and pined, biker and bicker, etc.

He is an otherwise excellent student with very high comprehension and retention. We've had him tested for entrance into the local public school's gifted program, and his IQ has ranged from 124-134. He has no problems reading ANY other words.

This is driving me insane!

Any websites or programs you can recommend for remediation in this little tiny area?

Thanks!

Struggles like this really don't have to do with intelligence, though we often think poor spelling shows a lack of intelligence--it's not true though. So, don't lose heart! AAS has been a good choice for us too, and would clear up differences like your son is struggling with. Hope you find a good program to use for your son!

Merry :-)

My DD(8) had problems with spelling but is an excellent reader. We have been using Spalding WRTR since mid Aug. I have seen tremendous improvement in her spelling.

Her problem was both partial phonics & part rules. We went through the phonogram with deligence first. I photo copied all the rules from the book & she now has most of them memorized. Each time she mispells a word, I remind her of the phonograms & the rules & it seems to stick better.

It has a appendix of words that you can use for spelling with the syllable division & the rules all marked up.

The program is cheap(20$). You can borrow the book from your local library. That's what I did before I bought the book.

Edited by tarana