Menu

Kitten help

Someone dropped a kitten on our property yesterday late afternoon.

We have an adult cat, but I've never cared for a kitten before. Dh thinks it's about 6 weeks old; I'm thinking a little older. It is eating wet cat food, walks around, but is still slightly unsteady on its feet. She has already peed and pooped on dd's bed. Weight 13.5 oz., her ribs are easily felt.

We're going to take her to the vet to have her checked out, but meanwhile, what do we do about her bathroom habits? Our adult cat refuses to use a litter box, so we don't even own one any more. Do kittens prefer to use a particular spot to pee/poop, or do they just go anywhere?

Any kitten tips would be appreciated.

Aw, poor kitty. Good thing you're willing to take her in.

I would confine the kitten in a smallish area (like a bathroom) with the litterbox nearby. Make sure the box how low enough sides for her to get into easily. Most kittens will instinctively use the litterbox, but not all. Better to be sure she gets well-trained to it at a young age. If she is showing a marked preference for using soft surfaces (towels, bedding, carpet, etc), this needs to be addressed as soon as possible. Some cats will have a strong preference for what type of litter they will use, so you may want to offer more than one if she doesn't take to the first one you try.

Definitely get her in for an examination. Make sure she is checked for feline leukemia/FIV, and internal and external parasites. She should be evaluated for dehydration as well (was the urine yellow or clear?).

Oh, and it is really challenging sometimes to determine the gender on a young kitten. So, even if you think you are sure.....have it double checked.

Good luck!