Menu

A homeschool vacation/conference/adventure?

My family needs something fun. I would like it to be homeschool related. I've heard of homeschool cruises and of course I know about conferences. Is there something that your family enjoyed together that you would recommend to others? A particular homeschool trip or conference? It can't be overly religious. We aren't religious by any means. That makes it even harder I think.

We went to Disney two years ago with a group based in B'ham (they are going again just after T-giving-- they may still be open to applications~ I can check if you like--it was open to all hsers, and I don't see why your geographical location would matter. The only actual 'hsing' part of it, though, was the 3-hour Y.E.S. class the kids did (way cool!) We ended up going with two local hsing families that we knew, and hung around off and on together the whole week. We had an absolute blast & the cost for the week's tickets was very cheap.

DollyWood in Pigeon Forge has hsing days, as does Six Flags. The Chattanooga aquarium has one, too (the second one this year is in Jan., I think?). I think, though, at these places you just meet up for the specified activity then go your own way. It's way more fun if you know someone else; otherwise it's just like you are going as a family.

Are those the kinds of things you are looking for?

If you are interested in museums, Anniston (Al-- not far off Interstate 20 http://www.annistonmuseum.org/ ) has a great natural history museum with TONS of stuffed animals (donated over the years)--- many I had never seen before. When we went, they has "Sue" the dinosaur and now I believe they are gearing up for an Egyptian mummy. It's very well-done and interesting. Then, literally across the parking lot is another museum of world history and they have knives, swords, Egyptian artifacts, Oriental items, personal brushes of Napoleon, etc. They even have a Damascus sword! You can bring a picnic lunch as they have tables outside. I don't remember seeing anywhere to eat, but that may have just been the direction we came from. Oh, and they have a nature walk where they have lots of birds of prey that were injured and not able to be released, so you can walk around before you go in the museum (or after) and look at all the birds. We were shocked to find such a treasure so close by. If you choose to check them out, be sure to print off the paper on the teacher portion of the website... it's a scavenger hunt of sorts. Our kids had fun answering the questions. There are forms for both museums.

I don't like the idea of a cruise.... the thought of being on a boat that long makes me cringe. :tongue_smilie:

Beth, I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for but I immediately thought of Colonial Williamsburg's Homeschool Weeks when I read your post. They drastically cut the admission ticket price for homeschoolers twice a year (once in spring and once in fall). We went a couple of years ago and it was a lot of fun and educational as well.

Also, Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg offers deep discounts to homeschoolers during the same weeks. I've never been but it looks like an awesome place to stay - very family friendly - lots of fun stuff to do.