Menu

A classical education using a classic Dolciani textbook

Enriched mathematics is taught in the United States using Dolciani's Algebra: Structure and Method. I have two questions concerning this self-proclaimed classic textbook:

#1) I found an article on the web called "How do the best and brightest boys do it?" which states that at the Roxbury Latin School "Class V (ie 8th grade) mathematics is a full first-year course in algebra using Dolciani's Algebra: Structure and Method. We feel that this is our most important course. It introduces the basic skills that students will use throughout their study of mathematics."

Comparing this to the latest RL_Catalog_09-10 which reads " Algebra 1 presents a comprehensive overview of the fundamentals of algebra."

The Catalogue description obviously lacks the feeling "that this is our most important course," could you please give me your opinion about the current importance of using Dolciani's Algebra: Structure and Method in the overall development of mathematical thinking. Also any speculation about future trends would be appreciated as well, thank you.

#2) While using this "Very strong, though quite traditional, textbook" how much emphasise should I put on rehearsing/reciting the glossary definitions and memorizing the objectives of each section?

Could you please give me your advice concerning these two questions with reference to an adult student who is trying to give himself a classical education by using this self-proclaimed classic textbook for independent self-study.

Yours respectfully.

I think you're trying to equate two different meanings of the word "classical." Classical is often used to mean traditional, time-tested, which is I believe what the Dolciani book is professing. That's not the same thing as a classical education, which stems from Ancient practices, the progymnasmata, etc.

In terms of using Dolciani as a basis for self-study, it is a very well respected Algebra textbook and would certainly be a good choice. You might find reviews of algebra textbooks interesting on http://www.mathematicallycorrect.com website. . . .look near the bottom of the page to find textbook reviews.

Edited by Pam in MA

As mentioned, Dolciani does not teach math in the classical way according to classical education. The original Dolciani Structure & Method books were New Math in the 1960s-1970s. If you choose this, the best texts are from 1965-1975. My eldest did the first one and is part way through Algebra 2 & Trig at the moment.

The review the other poster mentioned is to the 1994 Structure & Method book, which won't help you with the editions I mentioned. Jane in NC is one good person here to PM & ask about it; she's the one who steered me to this. She has a degree or two in math so knows more about all of this than I do.

fwiw, my eldest prefers the 1965 one.