Menu

Any other Math Mammoth users? What do you think?

TundraAcademy

• 2 months later...

Me ... we use light blue Math Mammoth as a supplement to RS.

We like it. It's like s'pore, but with more practice. My son benefits a lot from different presentation. MM is pictorial to half pictorial to abstract. RS is manipulative to abstract (via abacus visualization). For some topics, the pictorial stage helps a lot.

I used s'pore earlybird with RS level A. It helped him with some topics really well. That's why I use MM this year. It has more practice and cheaper (I have 3 kids, and a good laser duplex laser, so printing is NO problem and cheap for us).

As a stand alone, it might work. But it moves too fast. Especially on the first grade, when it discusses the math fact/ number bond. However, I remember seeing the author wrote like, don't expect student to memorize the math fact after this exercise, so the same page has to be printed periodically for practice. Conceptually though, it provides enough practice for the student to develop a certain concept.

All in all, I like Math Mammoth. It's very logical and strong in concept.

Dian

Yay! I'm not the only looking at Math Mammoth! My ds is very good in math, and can already do probably 1/2 of the first book of the light blue 1st Grade series (if that makes sense) but I want to start him off with a good base. :-)

I'll be buying it as soon as we have the $$, probably next payday. So my opinions are based only what I've seen in the samples of it. I like it because it gives me a spine to work with and I can supplement with what ever manipulatives and games I would like. I toyed with not buying anything this year, but decided I wanted a curric just to keep me in line and remind me of things I might skip over.

:-) Hope that makes sense!