Menu

Help me with this LoF Fractions question please

funschooler5

DD is on the Final Bridge, and has been doing the book mostly on her own. I'm pretty rusty at this stuff, and even after looking up the answer I'm not sure I understand the question!

It's #7 on pg 162:

To change the diameter of a circle into its circumference, you use the function "multiply by 3 1/7". What would be the diameter of a circle whose circumference is 11"? (Hint: Use the inverse function.)

Answer: 11 ÷ 3 1/7 = 11/1 ÷ 22/7 = 3 1/2 inches

I understand where it says that you multiply by 3 1/7" by 11, but the hint about the inverse function confuses me. It made me think (before I saw the answer) that you're supposed to invert the 11/1 to 1/11 before multiplying (so, divide it in other words). Could somebody explain to me what they mean by inverse function in reference to this problem?

Thanks!

If you're given the diameter, you multiply by 3 1/7 (or 22/7) to get the circumference. In this problem, you're given the circumference and asked to calculate the diameter. So the circumference (11) is divided by 22/7. Dividing by a fraction is the same as multiplying by it's inverse:

11 times 7/22 = 3.5