Menu

White towel with colored monogram- special thread?

I would like to get my children new towels for Christmas with their initials monogrammed.

I usually only ever buy white towels so I can bleach clean, but I'm wondering if I should go with different colored towels with a white monogram, or white towels with colored thread. And if the latter is the case, do I need to request special bleed proof thread? I'm not doing the monogramming myself.

Thank you for your information.

Jo

Talk to the embroider. They probably have a poly thread that will withstand the bleach. There are poly swimsuits that hold up to chlorine so I am certain it is possible, you may need to ask for a sample first to try it though. Maybe they will put some color samples on a wash cloth for you, that you can wash numerous times between now and when you need to order. That should show you what you need to know.

There are certain colors that are more likely to bleed/turn colors with bleach so you may want to consider that when you are making your selections.

If you like white towels, I would stick with that plan. We have some colored towels that still look fabulous after years at the pool and being bleached at home weekly (I bleach pool towels due to fungus, mold, mildew in the locker rooms). I don't know what fabric content they are, or how to know what will fade and what won't but the embroider may (if they are a professional not just a friend doing it). We have 2 bright orange and 2 bright pink Tommy Hilfiger or Ralph Lauren towels that are regular towels used at the pool...they still look great too.

since he likes to have his own towel. The monogramming was expensive and I too was afraid of colors bleeding and/or fading. What we finally did was to buy a nice stencil of the alphabet and used gel fabric paint and put his initials on it that way. The kids had great fun doing it and it has held up well, We did it about 5 years ago and non of the paint has come off, run, or faded.