Menu

If you are an experienced Latin teacher, would you help me: Henle

We are working on Henle Latin. On page 5 in the Grammar (blue book) in the first year, first lesson, the declension of terra is given. There is a brief note about the Romans not using article adjectives (a, an, the) and how we provide them in English and thus they are part of the English translations. But why does the text use "the" with nom, and accusative plural but NOT accusative singular:

Case / Latin / English meaning

SINGULAR

Nom terra - land, the (a) land

Gen terrae - of the (a) land

Dat terrae - to or for the (a) land

Acc terram - the (a) land

Abl terra - - by/with/from the (a) land

PLURAL

Nom terrae - lands, the lands

Gen terrarum - of the lands

Dat terris - to of for the lands

Acc terras - lands, the lands

Abl terris - by/with/from the lands

So my question is specifically the Accusative Singular plural translation. Is it a typo that Acc S Plural does not match the nominative singular? (I notice the accusative plural does *match* in nom and accusative.)

The exact same situation exists in my LFC declension of the first declension model noun.

Btw, one of my students (bright young man) asked this question.

Thanks!

Lisaj

Articles have, historically, developed from demonstrative pronouns (at least that was the case with Romance languages); there are even today a number of living and fully functional languages that do not use articles - Russian comes to my mind, for example. Or you have languages like Hebrew, which has a partial article use, limited only to a definite article. Even languages which do use articles often use them in a somewhat different fashion - I for one misuse the English ones occasionally, even though my native language uses articles even more.

Latin is one of those languages that simply do not use articles to convey the notion of whether something is definite or indefinite, one needs to rely to the context to be sure. Can one ever be fully sure with the language that doesn't have this particular feature? Probably not, when it comes to isolated sentences.

Poetae scribunt.

I poeti scrivono. (definite plural)

Poeti scrivono. (indefinite plural, no article)

Dei poeti scrivono. (sort of "indefinite definite" plural)

Poets write. (indefinite plural, no article)

The poets write. (definite plural)

How do you know what's the case? Context. If you have none, pretty much everything goes - it can be a general or a specific statement. A speaker of a language which uses articles must be careful in translation of big chunks of connected sentences for this very reason.

In the tables you bring up, however, I see both options for the accusative singular: it can be that we see a land, or that we can see the land, right? If it were in the text, it would depend on the context.

I don't get your second question about matching - matching of what? Articles in translation depend exclusively on the context, everything can be definite and indefinite, depending on the circumstances.

English doesn't have an indefinite plural article (like my "dei" above, there is no equivalent, there is only "lands" and "the lands" in English, while in Italian there would be three possible forms).

You know what, you'll do yourself a favor just by completely disregarding it. The concept of article, forget it when you read Latin. Apply it as it naturally comes in English when you translate. You're confusing yourself over nothing. It doesn't matter what they write, you know how to use articles in English if it's your native language - it all depends on the Latin context.

Case / Latin / English meaning

SINGULAR

Nom terra - land, the (a) land

Gen terrae - of the (a) land

Dat terrae - to or for the (a) land

Acc terram - the (a) land

Abl terra - - by/with/from the (a) land

PLURAL

Nom terrae - lands, the lands

Gen terrarum - of the lands

Dat terris - to of for the lands

Acc terras - lands, the lands

Abl terris - by/with/from the lands

Btw, one of my students (bright young man) asked this question: the accusative singular case (above from Henle p. 5 Grammar) doesn't give the translation "land" - Acc Sing. only gives the translations, "the land", "a land". This was conufusing to us because the nom singular gives land, "a land, the land" which seems accurate for the (direct object) accusative case as well - so my only question, really, is why does the Henle book do this? Is this anything we should be concerned about as we start in Latin.

Frankly, it looks like a typo to me? But I am new, so I didn't want to assume anything since this young man asked me?

Btw, I apologize my first post was unclear. I was in a hurry, being constantly interrupted and it wasn't very clear.

I appreciate the "don't worry about it"; I understand that it will likely always be clear in English when to use a definite or indefinite article.

Thanks!

Lisaj

Btw, one of my students (bright young man) asked this question: the accusative singular case (above from Henle p. 5 Grammar) doesn't give the translation "land" - Acc Sing. only gives the translations, "the land", "a land". This was conufusing to us because the nom singular gives land, "a land, the land" which seems accurate for the (direct object) accusative case as well - so my only question, really, is why does the Henle book do this?

I think I finally got your question.

Well, I don't use Henle, but I do know Latin; the only thing which comes to my mind as a possible explanation is that first they give you the "translation" of the word lexically (what does it mean - terra means land) in the first form of the first scheme (nominative singular), and then they list the actual translation when the Latin word is IN its case - so, in a nominative case of singular, it can be "a land" or "the land", depending on the context.

Nominative plural lists "lands" and "the lands" because those are exact equivalents of "a land" and "the land". Lands, with no article whatsoever, is there in a plural indefinite form. In Italian they'd mark it with "delle terre", but in English you can't say "a lands" (unless you're some Ester from Italy which has such "typos" rather often ;)).

If you watch it more closely, the only 'extra' "land" is in nominative singular, i.e. they're first giving you a lexical translation, then a translation-in-case.

Their accusative is perfectly good: We see [-> direct object] a land. (indefinite)

Or: We see [-> direct object] the land of our ancestors. (definite)

You can't really say We see land. In Italian you could, but in English it doesn't quite sound right.

Same goes for other cases too: These are flowers of a land (some land, undefined) / These are the flowers of the land of our ancestors. (My apologies for the silly examples, I'm trying to type this quickly.)

Basically, first in nominative singular they translate "the word per se", then give options for "the word in that particular case"; in other cases, they only give the latter option, since they already translated the word lexically.

That's my interpretation.

Ceterum censeo that Wheelock's is a better text. :D

I'm currently teaching LFC 1, Latin Alive!, and Wheelock's. I looked it up in LA and Wheelock's. (LFC is in ds's room, though, and he is asleep. :001_smile:) They use different example words, but the effect is the same...

Latin Alive!:

Singular

femina the woman

feminae of the woman

feminae to/for the woman

feminam the woman

femina by/with/from the woman

Plural

feminae the women

feminarum of the women

feminis to/for the women

feminas the women

feminis by/with/from the women

Wheelock's (they include an adj and the vocative, but I'll skip those):

Singular

porta the (a) gate

portae of the gate

portae to/for the gate

portam the gate

by/with/from, etc. the gate

Plural

portae the gates or gates

portarum of the gates

portis to/for the gates

portas the gates

portis by/with/from, etc. the gates

And from Latin in the Christian Trivium that I taught a few years ago (and will sell, if anyone wants it :D):

Singular

patria a (the) country

patriae of a (the) country, the country's

patriae to, for a (the) country

patriam a (the) country

patria by or with a (the) country

Plural

patriae the countries

patriarum of the countries, the countries'

patriis to, for the countries

patrias the countries

patriis by or with the countries

I taught LNST last year, but I've sold that, so I can't check, but I think it was about the same as Latin Alive!

So, there is some variance in the way they are listed. I think it is a matter of author's style. I would congratulate him for being a sharp boy and then tell him not to worry about it, as he can translate it 'land' if he needs to. I had students who would even get hung up on whether 'a' or 'the' was correct in a translation. I always told them to just enjoy the fact that they could pick their own right answer, because that doesn't happen often. ;) I played up the fact that students could express themselves in the sentences by choosing which words they used, and they really seemed to like that.

HTH!

Edited by angela in ohio

I'm currently teaching LFC 1, Latin Alive!, and Wheelock's. I looked it up in LA and Wheelock's. (LFC is in ds's room, though, and he is asleep. :001_smile:) They use different example words, but the effect is the same...

So, there is some variance in the way they are listed. I think it is a matter of author's style. I would congratulate him for being a sharp boy and then tell him not to worry about it, as he can translate it 'land' if he needs to. I had students who would even get hung up on whether 'a' or 'the' was correct in a translation. I always told them to just enjoy the fact that they could pick their own right answer, because that doesn't happen often. ;) I played up the fact that students could express themselves in the sentences by choosing which words they used, and they really seemed to like that.

HTH!

Ester Maria & Angela - Thanks!! I should have you on speed dial this year!

Btw, if anyone wants to give me "Latin names" for my scholars to adopt, I'd love to have some available in case they can't think of any:

Caesar, Cicero, Hercules, Italia, Dahlia, Diana, Maria, Julia... (Classical pronunciations would be a bonus!)

Lisaj

Lisa J, who is excited and scared about teaching high school Latin