Menu

Can I come back and play?

It's been a long time since I've been a regular here...so much has changed for my family. We are now living in Texas and all 4 of my kids are at school. I'm still at home for now but will be finding a part-time job once I get my Texas nursing license.

My oldest three are in 5th, 4th, and 2nd grades at a small, classical, Catholic school nearby. My 4yo goes to a prek program down the street at a daycare center-when I am working he'll be able to stay there in the afternoons.

Such a compete reversal from where we were just 2 or 3 years ago. I was going to homeschool my kids forever and never go off to work and leave the baby in daycare.

Why am I doing this? I really loved the IDEA of homeschooling. I had a little trouble with the implementation part, though. Most of all I was miserable trying to be everything to my kids. I was in tears most days and our family life was awful. When my husband got home I just wanted to get out of there. So, all three girls went back to school fulltime last fall. I feel so much better now, physically and emotionally. I enjoy my children now!

I would love to return to homeschooling, but my dh, who suffered with the rest of us has said no for the present. The girls are in a really good school that we are pleased with, everyone is happy and we are going to be here 5years. The plan is to keep everyone in school for 5 years and then when we move re-evaluate the situation. At that point my kids will be heading in 10th, 9th 7th and 3rd grades.

I haven't made any new friends in Texas yet, we were in this city 3yrs ago but all my friends were homeschooling friends and I don't fit in the homeschool groups anymore.

The work part-we sold our house in Colorado and took a huge loss-nearing $100,000. And we had to have the money at closing. So now we are maxed out and borrowed against everything and have no savings and I need to work to get this debt GONE in the next five years.

So, long story short...can I still come here and have fun and talk and share? Anyone else have all their kids in school and are still having trouble giving up the dream of homeschooling?

Thanks for letting me vent...

Jennifer

School looks good to all of us, sometimes... and gettting free of debt looks great to me. There are seasons of life, and ...well... enjoy this while it's yours. :) I've looked into the classical schools that are anywhere near me, too, but so far... it's not a go for us.

Hoping that some friends come around for you!! Have fun playing here, too!!

:)