Menu

Doggy heros.

A fun thread to honour our dog heros.

What has your dog done for your family?

Our old dog Bran (pronounced Braaaan, not like breakfast cereal!) was out walking on a beach in Devon in the UK with me and my 2 oldest...then my only children. They were aged 2 and 4 years. The girls climbed up a sand dune and were rolling back down again. They did this a couple of times and then we walked on. A bit later we came to another great dune for rolling and they climbed up again whilst I threw sticks for the dog. Suddenly Bran dashed past me and headed for the girls barking and growing. Bran was the world softest dog and he never growled at anyone so I was horrified...he was going for the kids! I thought it was because they were rolling so I shouted at them to stop, running across they beach as I did so.

They sat up and Bran stood over them barking madly. By this stage the youngest was crying and the oldest was asking what was the matter with Bran. He was a labrador cross and a big dog. I was scared by the whole thing and was shouting at them to sit still.

I reached the bottom of the dune and started to climb up when I stopped, horrified. There on the sand was a viper. Right where the girls would have rolled if they had kept going. Bran was between the girls and the snake. If he had not intervened they would have rolled right onto it.

Bran was our hero dog and he lived to be 14. He died December 18th 2008.

Now its time to share about your canine heros!

Willow.

Edited by Willow
spelling

I'm sorry for your loss, Willow. I know it was a while ago, but it still cuts :grouphug:.

Our current dog, Rosie, has a voracious bark - I mean, it's Nasty. And she's not afraid to use her, um, talents. She's constantly by my side, she even sleeps right behind my knees and there's no moving her. One night, she woke me up around 230am; at first it was a low growl, then it turned into a full on fierce bark, hackles up, the whole show; she had jumped from the bed to the doorway, but only went farther when dh got up to see what was going on, and ended up leading the way, growling and barking, to the garage door.

Apparently, someone had been in our garage because some things had been moved and knocked over, but they had left by then.

Poor Rosie always catches flack from everyone (except me, because I recognize and respect her abilities ;)) for being such a "head case". She just loves us and is overprotective, I say.

We have 2 (but technically 3) super pooches. The first two are my son's registered service dogs, the black lab is retired, the yellow lab is still working. Both have saved my son's life several times. Too many stories to tell for what my time will allow at the moment...

Gosh, sorry I don't know how to shrink these pics!

n803595429_479480_5129.jpg

[/url]

24534_10150152265940430_803595429_12211569_1948749_n.jpg

ACK! I forgot to share about our newest pooch, which we got just last week! Autum is the hero of the infamous villian, Captain Pee! She jumps on this evildooer and rolls around and squishes him until there's nothing left but the scent of victory all over her. :glare: Good thing she's so cute!

62457_10150266986305430_803595429_15314126_6016620_n.jpg

It's not a current dog that we have....actually, it wasn't even my dog....but down at my grandparents house, they had a dog. It was a big mutt that wandered out of the woods one day. We were visiting when it happened. They lived on a lake with lots of woods around and this dog just wandered out. Of course, they began feeding him and he sort of lived around there. I named him Buster. Whenever we'd visit them, I'd always play with him. He'd go for walks in the woods with my grandfather and I. One day, as we were walking, Buster jumped in front of me mid-step and started barking. I was just about to put my foot down right where he was barking when I noticed the coral snake right there. I jumped back (I was around 10 or 12 years old) and my grandfather moved the snake out of the way with a stick. If it hadn't been for that big ol' mutt Buster, I would have stepped right on a coral snake!

When I was 18 my family had a super smart Malamute (Juneau). One summer night we were all sitting in our living room when Juneau jumped up, ran over to the screen door and let himself out by slamming his body against the latch. We followed him, bewildered, and saw a man running from our open garage, Juneau in pursuit. We watched the man take a running leap, scale our 6 foot tall fence, and hit the ground running. Juneau was 130# and not a dog to mess with. He was a fabulous dog, and I still miss him nearly 30 years later.