Menu

Tonia: Where do you get most of your curriculum?

Canada_Mom

I notice you're in Canada too. Where do you get most of your curriculum from? I find the costs to get out of the US frustrating. There have been a couple of times where I've spent more on shipping (and duty/taxes) than on the acutal item b/c I couldn't get it locally and it was one of the "just gotta have" things.

I'm glad you posted that question about GtG vs. Trip Around the World. I'm really interested in doing one with dd6. I was going to just get GtG since I hadn't heard of Trip Around the World. Now you have me thinking too!!

I can get GtG from the local homeschool store for $35 but I don't know about Trip Around the World as they don't carry it. I don't know if I should let that influence my decision or not. Where do you shop?

I just posted a reply on the other message and noticed yours was gone :D but I'll repost here.

I do a lot of my shopping through Chapters (online) - but that's mostly for books and such, though I have gotten some workbooks (kumon, evan-moor, etc.) through them. The search feature can be a pain, but if you can get the UPC or ISBN code from amazon and then search with that, it is much easier to find things. Free shipping over $39

I haven't used amazon.ca so I'm not sure of the shipping, but it is an option. I believe they also offer free shipping over a certain price.

I have used CBD and Rainbow Resources, as well, for the things I couldn't find locally. The shipping cost is a pain, but I've still gotten things fairly quickly. I did have to pay duty once (about $8).

I'm sure I'll be looking at other options soon, when my dd is older. Give me two seconds and I will list all the other places I've found in Canada. :)

I have never used any of these places, so I can't guarantee anything about them, but I hope they help!

Canadian Home Education Resources

Cornerstone Learning Resources

Heritage Resources

Spectrum Education - their catalogs are great, more of a teacher supply store, but some good stuff for science, etc.

Scholar's Choice

I've bought from Heritage Resources, CHER and Spectrum. All are very good.

Forgot some -

Peacehill Press - has a list of Canadian distributors for their materials.

Voyageur Publishing - they've got stuff or Canadian History and Geography

Solid Oak Publishing - this one looks really good - it's a Canadian history program and they've even got SOTW scheduled in it. It's on my list of things to consider for history.

HTH!

I have "Modern History Through Canadian Eyes" from Solid Oak. It didn't really grab me though. Not that it's bad, it's just not what I thought it would be.

It's basically a list of chapters from other books (that you have to get your hands on) so that you can read through history across many resources. It's not bad, as I said, but since we homeschool in French, it was sorta useless for me.

here are some places I've bought from:

Homeschool and More (in NB, used to be in PEI - very reputable people)

St. Francis Books (ON, I think - Memoria Press distributor)

CMCO Publications (ON, no website, CDN R&S distributor)

The Learning House (ON, I can't remember what I bought there, LOL!)

Tree of Life (NB - lots of classical books and resources)

I even found two places out west (AB and BC) and one in Ontario that could get Peace Hill Press items. It might have been the Learning House, but see note above, LOL. I just called and called places, after googling Canadian homeschool supplies or something like that, to ask what they could import from the U.S.. I found several companies to be willing to try to get U.S. stuff. It helps to call and ask, because they seem to be willing to get stuff we need. And with the dollar being so close right now....