Menu

Has anyone used Beautiful Feet World/American for highschool?

Yes, we did, but did a cut down version so it could be done in one year. Ds really liked it, he asked three weeks into a US History textbook to change over.

It is a LOT of reading, even cut down. 30-50 pages a day. But it is good reading!

Dd can't do it because she is a slower reader, but I still will have her read a few of the great books to add to her US History.

Yes, we did, but did a cut down version so it could be done in one year. Ds really liked it, he asked three weeks into a US History textbook to change over.

It is a LOT of reading, even cut down. 30-50 pages a day. But it is good reading!

Dd can't do it because she is a slower reader, but I still will have her read a few of the great books to add to her US History.

Thanks! How did you like the writing assignments?

I would need to also do a Govt. course along side of it, but could spread that out over 2 years as well. I am looking at this for 11th and 12th grade.

DD would be done with science and only doing a consumer math course alongside of it. Also use Jensen's format writing too.

So maybe that would not be too much?

She detests textbook/workbooks. We are currently using LifePacs for 10th grade world history and they are beyond boring.

Lifepacs for World History is probably the least painful way to do world history in one year! I speak from experience.....

I pick and chose what we did from the guide. It was mostly questions to answers from the books. I also had my ds do what I call "bullet facts" on each person he read about if there weren't questions. We didn't do a lot of reading assignments, but in hindsight, he could have turned a few of his pages of bullet facts into some papers. He still took a lot out of the course. He is in college, and said when we did textbooks, he didn't remember anything, and when we did whole books (like BF) he remembered it.

I called BF and they cut it back for me. I think there are 3-4 books on the Civil War alone, our favorite was the Marrin book about Robert E. Lee. We didn't read any others, we watched the Ken Burns Civil War series on TV. I also added Hakim's series from about book 4 or 5 on. (We had read through the Rev. War in the text he ditched). He would read a chapter or two from Hakim, then several in a book. The library has a lot of the books, I found out after I purchased them..... If you want to own the paperback books, the best way to get them is to get an educators discount card from Barnes and Noble, then you get 20% off. This week it is 25%. Some of the books are exclusive to BF and you need to order from them.

I did ask BF how to do government and economics, they suggested getting a test prep. book (AP, CLEP, etc) and go through that. We finished in 11th grade, and did a regular govt./econ. curriculum.

My dd used BF for most of ancient history (until it became too much reading around Rome). Anyways, when we brought her notebooks to the local homeschool event, another mom started using BF and continued with it through high school. Her son liked to read and did some very creative projects and notebooking. It was beautiful work, well thought out, and you could tell he'd been well educated.

So I think it can be done :)

Julie