Menu

History and Science falling flat

This is more history than science, but I don't seem to hold dd's interest with it. Should I just table the subject until she's older? I've tried to focus on hands-on stuff, but she just doesn't like any attempt to tie a project to where/when it comes from. I've been largely following GuestHollow's American History this year.

In science we're doing astronomy, because I found a free curriculum. DD's gotten more out of it so far thatn she has history, but I'm tempted to toss it and just follow DD's whims instead, which range one week to bugs in jars, another to chemistry experiments about color.

Is less structure more in these areas?

perhaps in elementary grades I'd say chuck it and follow his interests. There will be plenty of time in the future for structured programs. Right now encourage him to love to learn. Most of the science and history that he learns now will be relearned by the time he graduates. Have fun, you both don't need the stress.

In elementary we did SOTW with the Activity Guide, and it was my kids' favorite subject. The AG has a great variety of activities, and you can choose as many or as few as you like.

:iagree:

we listened to it mostly in the car, and did some of the activities at home. the ones we did were a lot of fun, and they still remember them!

now, for dds grades 5 and 7, we are doing historyatourhouse.com, and it is fabulous. he does do a class for lower elementary, though, so that might work well for you, too.

hth,

ann