Which History Program?  

1. 1. Which History Program?

• SOTW 1
    • MOH 1
    • Biblioplan Ancients
    • Other

Why did you choose what you did?

I chose SOTW because...

1. You don't have anyone in the logic stage. SOTW is really all you need.

2. It's simpler than the others, leaving you more time for foundational skills (like math, reading, and writing) and the fun picture books recommended in the AG (for which they will lose interest by the time they reach the logic stage).

3. It helps give a solid foundation in narrations and writing summaries, which I think should be one of (if not THE) primary goal of grammar stage history.

4. Biblioplan schedules out MOH for you. You can use that on your second go round when you do have a logic stage child.

5. If you want to line SOTW up with biblical history it's simplest to use something like this: http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/chowsotw.htm

See, I'm all for simple.

Edited by Luann in ID

We are using MOH 1 this year and we all LOVE it! I think she's very clear and easy to understand while also giving a good basis for growth in our future run cycles. Her activities are fun, things I can do without a whole lot of planning or supplies and so we actually get things done. I also like how she ties in Biblical history.

We are using Oak Meadow this year -- WE ALL LOVE IT!

I used HO with dd 5th grade last year -- we loved that, but she was also incredibly capable of working independently and she was doing level two middle ages and it was great. However, I find HO to be inconsistent as far as quality across their levels and time periods. Middle Ages Level One was totally unimpressive so I could not use that with the twins who were definitely level one material.

This year, I researched and researched and Oak Meadow was my choice. I had to buy three different grade levels (bought it used) and juggle a little for about 4 weeks but now FINALLY everyone is on the same time period, doing the same History (which means I am only doing history ONCE) and I wish I had been using OM from the minute we started homeschooling -- I think that with MCT, OM, TT (pre-algebra) and Singapore (4th grade for the twins) I finally am over being a curric junkie.

Why did you choose what you did?

MOH is still my favorite. I used it with my oldest in 1st grade.

Though I do admit it is a bit much for some kids. She is an auditory learner who loves history. My 2nd dd is more hands on, so she just did the activities, which are very doable compared to the more complicated activities in the SOTW activity guide.

Heather