Menu

Please help: Saxon or Math U See other ?

christine in al

Please help,

I've been using Right STart for both. I love it, DS loves it, well , he appreciates it. And we suppliment with Galore Park Junior Maths.

DD flew through level B, then most of level C,, when I realized she just didn't have facts,,, so this year we started over in C. She is very resistent to tell me how she did something.

DD, is very visual, ( not so verbal)

she loves worksheets, ( she finished her first 9 weeks of Evan Moor problems in the first week of school, " to be done" )

she wants to work independently, she's just turned 8,

I think Singapore is great, but I don't get it.

WWYD? keep plugging with RS ?

MUS?

Saxon?

other?

I'm pretty tired and dont' want to learn ANOTHER program that is teacher intensive. ( I tried MEP and Singapore and dabbled with Saxon for DS 4 years ago, not a fit there)

I like that with RS, I open and go. and I like the way the concepts are taught.

Please help .

Thanks,

~Christine in al

:001_smile:

I kinda think that too, but having to back track with RS, I'm wondering if it's a good enough fit. She might be a " just the facts kinda girl". She does love worksheets

I'll check out the MUS drill site and we'll play some more games.

She just took the MUS competency test for Alpha she missed only one subtraction problem. so we'll work on subtraction.

and also wait for more ideas

RS goes from addition to multiplication,

changing scope and sequence might be asking for trouble.

~c.

DD, is very visual, ( not so verbal)

she loves worksheets, ( she finished her first 9 weeks of Evan Moor problems in the first week of school, " to be done" )

she wants to work independently, she's just turned 8,

I think Singapore is great, but I don't get it.

WWYD? keep plugging with RS ?

MUS?

Saxon?

other?

I totally get where you're coming from.

Saxon worked for my younger one - but one of the things she *liked* about it was that it's very verbal, which you said doesn't work for yours. There's a lot of question & answer in the "meeting" that happens out loud, and it's a big part of the program. I found it very teacher intensive, and very time consuming, but it worked for dd.

However, when I was switching my older one over to MUS, I decided to switch them both. She's getting everything out of MUS that she got out of Saxon, only it's MUCH easier for me, and much quicker. They really can move at their own pace, and it's very apparent when they don't get something. I went back to Alpha with my then 2nd grader - we flew through that, now we're almost done w/Beta and I have Gamma ready to go next week. I feel she has a very, very solid basis in math now after jumping around a bit in the first few years.

HTH!