Menu

Tell me about the Phonics Road to Reading and Spelling

Bird Girl

I have a third grader and a Kindergartener. I'm using OPGTR with the five-year old, and I think that's fine. My DD used the MCP's Phonics workbooks last year, but not much this year. She reads well ahead of grade level, but isn't really much of a speller--and I'm not sure how to help her. I wonder if going back to basics with something like the Phonics Road would be the right way to go. I'm a believer in building strong foundations, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that won't fit into our schedule. Has this program been effective for you?

Hopefully Tina will respond to your post also since she is the resident Phonics Road "expert", but I will tell you our experience.

I started my 6yo and 9 yo in PR1 last year and I do believe it has been very effective. They are both excellent readers, and actually decent spellers but because of the way you analyze words and apply rules in PR we have all learned a great deal about the English language. My 9yo is flying through the program. We are aiming to do a lesson a day. Sometimes that doesn't work because of my time limitations or if there is a long building code involved in the lesson but he is on Week 23 and I'm hoping to finish Level 1 by the end of October with him so that we can get into the meat of Level 2. My 6 yo is not going that fast though is is doing two days worth of work in one day usually (he is an advanced 6yo and in second grade and was reading fluently before we started PR).

I was so impressed with the program that this fall I also stated my 13 yo back at the beginning. He is also on Week 23 of PR1 and he is finally getting spelling for the first time in his life. In a history assignment yesterday, he spelled "from", "frome". Joking with him I asked him what was the reason for that silent final "e"? He immediately thought through the list of five reasons and began erasing - now, there is that pesky "no job e" but he recognized that the situation he had with "from" probably didn't fit any of the words he's seen so far with the "no job e" label. With this older kidlet, I'm just using the spelling portion of PR and doing the Bridge program.

If you have any more specific questions, just let me know, I'll help in anyway I can.

Hi. PR will surely give you the foundation you desire. I continue to be pleased with it each time I move farther into the program. Here's my review and story of how I came to find PR. There is also a social group here that answers many questions, not that many of us won't answer the same ones again b/c we enjoy talking PR :)

Let me start with our story....

I traveled a different road with my oldest dc and by the time the 4th grade exit came up, we couldn't quite get off the highway. Gaps here. Gaps there. No understanding that language arts is one category with many parts. We had no idea there was a connection to all the work we were doing. Many subjects, too many purposes, too many parts, not too much joy or love of learning.

We could read, although we were kinda weak in phonics. What was supposed to be EZLessons created tears and made sounding out unlearned words difficult because the lessons winded about, with no clear Interstate -- things were just not connected. Then, when we finished, where to from here? It was like coming down a 100 mile road and winding up at a dead end.

We knew a little grammar from some First Lessons and followed through by not sparing the Rod. After one year, we had given the tried and true a new name. Dare I say the Staff became Rottin'. We gained a ton of knowledge, but also a dislike for grammar. Eeww grammar! What a stench!

We could write without tears, but the time flew by so quickly we could only practice through arbitrary dictation and copywork. Neatness wasn't really a focus b/c it was just too easy to fill in workbook pages and tuck it away for the day.

And spelling...well, list by list still left us with no understanding or Power to comprehend of the rules of the road. Next, A Bucket of letters and rules down another winding road with no clear destination. We could read the signs, but we had no idea what the signs meant and how they could cross over from one list to the other.

Then, a friend mentioned an uncharted road. I got lost in the grid of a convention hall and came across our saving grace, The Phonics Road to Spelling, Reading and Writing. No more gaps. We don't fall into anymore sinkholes in language arts....just smooth, straight, nicely paved roads! It was like a map fell from the sky and we finally had directions that all led to the same place...Language Arts Successville where love of language arts is on every corner and joy comes in 30 minute sessions! We're even learning a little about the construction business ;)

{I love it enough to design that lil' story...I hope you got all the curriculum references :) I mean no offense, just having a little fun...I really do get giddy about this program!}

Now, for you....

Imagine, if you will, one curriculum that actually showed the relationship between phonics, reading, spelling, writing, dictation, copywork and shortly thereafter literary analysis. A complete language arts curriculum. Complete.

We learned how to write out letters through games, hands on fun, then put those letters to paper and began to understand phonics and we started to spell in a way that made sense b/c it connected to our phonics.

Our phonics led to reading. Not only did we learn to read well, but any word that is presented to us is easily decoded because we understand the connection between phonics, reading and spelling. We even understand the origin of words and how those origins affect spelling (in the 2nd grade!)! We can spell. We can spell well.

We use those same spelling words to understand the rules of grammar. Now connecting writing to phonics to reading to spelling to grammar.

Gentle practice, not boring, not overkill, but enough laid out in an orderly and easily understandable fashion to be effective and learn other valuable skills: organization and neatness.

As you add to your spelling list, you continually recap on the phonics rules and grammar rules where applicable.

Everything you need is provided (except for the hands on stuff like sand, puff paints, whatever you choose to learn handwriting) and the pleasure of having a master teacher present lessons to you so you can teach. Clear, concise instructions via DVD and lesson plans typed out weekly and daily. Easy to follow lesson plans and clear instruction via DVD!

Songs for spelling rules that are constantly reinforced has my whole house singing or humming throughout the day...seriously. Even my ds13 will stop and hum or sing to remember the proper spelling or grammar tune! It works! And it's not some silly nonsensical song....real rules to familiar tunes with a disk to help learn or practice the songs. His spelling improved drastically after following the basics of this program. Spelling is no longer an issue in our home. Not at all.

Student and teacher materials with complete answer books and marked words. All comes organized so you have an example of how dc's notebooks should look.

By year 2, you're introducing Little House in the Big Woods. As your child reads this chapter book, you're increasing vocabulary and beginning literary analysis. Mrs. Beers guides you through via DVD so you won't miss a thing. Again, a connection is made from your literature to all you study in spelling and grammar. She really does an amazing job of painting the big picture: words on paper communicating through grammar to convey an idea in a piece of literature, using writing instruction as the tool.

End of year 2 introduces cursive handwriting and carries on into Year 3 where you will continue to grow in vocabulary, spelling, grammar, literary analysis and begin to dabble in latin pre/suffixes. It comes so gracefully, there's no intimidation.

The writing instruction in the program has really shown it's glory as I sit in level 3, watching it all come together and see my Level 2ers putting out WAY more and far better writing than any of my older children ever did. It's very impressive, AND it's pretty darn easy. We're not crying about anything over here :) and our "product" is not only nice to look at, but understood and applied to all areas of study.

If you'd like a curriculum that has:

Organization

Teaching Assistance (DVD's about 20 min/week) (although we all pretty much would like a readable teacher's manual)

Lesson Plans designed already (daily and weekly)

Connecting the relationship between handwriting, phonics, spelling, grammar, literature to a place of true understanding, and seeing the results through writing

Fine literature

Word origins

Spelling Rules to aid in understanding

Grammar Rules

Continuity in a curriculum (Phonics Road becomes Latin Road)

Vocabulary

The ability to work at your own pace

Enough practice to learn but not stifle the love of learning

Literary Analysis

Historical understanding of the English language

Great for dyslexic students (I've read testimonies at the yahoo group)

Peace of mind b/c you will be certain your covering all aspects of the English language

Writing structure and style instruction

then this is the program for you. I, hands down, absolutely endorse it enough to put the effort in to teach from this wonderful program. This year I'm teaching:

1 dgs a letter a week using the philosophy and program presentation

2 dc year 2, finishing this week and moving into year 3

1 dc year 3/4 currently just around mid-point

3 dc Latin Road y2 (finishing 1 this week)

I have no doubt that a beginner could use this. Not only could they follow it, but I believe it will help them become a better teacher. Even after 10.5 years of teaching, I believe it improved my skills as a teacher and I have learned a great deal myself.

Any veteran will appreciate the girth and depth of this program.

I love it. If we were sitting together, I'd pull it out and show you how wonderful it is, and from the joy I would certainly project...you'd be impressed!

Here's the WTM Social Group for PR. It's a great place for incremental steps since many of us can offer suggestions and encouragement.

I LOVE it! Using with ds7-we actually started in spring but then some life things happened, then summer, so we're on week 10. ALREADY in that time he is doing great with spelling. (AND when we started back from the spring, he had retained all he had learned.) He could read on about a 2-3 grade level when he started. Not much time right now, but I could pretty much echo exactly what JanOH said about him having logical reasons to figure spelling out for himself-he can actually APPLY what he's learning and sees when it isn't right due to PR rules. He LOVES this program and the confidence he is building with spelling is worth twice the price.

We have a co-op day so we do a week in four days/wk with no problem. He is retaining well. I do more quizzing of words than she mentions because I think it needs more review. I pick about 10-12 phonograms per day to review in different ways (magnetic tiles from AAS, he writes them when I dictate, flash cards, etc.) and about ten words from previous lists per day to quiz him on. A couple times a week I make up dictation sentences using the previous spelling words too.

I loved the theory behind SWR but could not make it work-it was laid out badly, etc. But I never wanted to teach any other way because I believe so much in Spalding/OG spelling. I was thrilled to find PR because it teaches the same thing in a way that is more laid out for the teacher.

I can't stress enough how great this program is! :)

Wow! Thank you all so, so much for your thoughtful replies. (And the curriculum story was really funny!) You've given me a lot to think about. I was interested in what I saw on the website, but the price seemed high. However, it's about what I paid for MCT's Town level program--although this seems very different in approach and coverage.

Would a kindergartener be old enough to start with level one? Or should I wait for first grade?

Wow! Thank you all so, so much for your thoughtful replies. (And the curriculum story was really funny!) You've given me a lot to think about. I was interested in what I saw on the website, but the price seemed high. However, it's about what I paid for MCT's Town level program--although this seems very different in approach and coverage.

Would a kindergartener be old enough to start with level one? Or should I wait for first grade?

An advanced Ker, yes; however, consider the program levels and not grades, for sure. Level 2 really amps up the grammar and there is significant writing in both, which is often an issue for younger students. If you start w/ a Ker, you can choose to go very slowly through the phonograms. Many people here have successfully taught littles to read using something else first b/c they want the focus on reading only or b/c they just can't wait until 1st grade! Even so, I'm using the format to teach reading to a Ker, via a letter a week, and we're moving along very nicely.

This was our first week-I love it. I used Phonics Pathways first-and I still do like that one. We were able to switch with no problem. I felt around half way through PP, after looking at PR, the phonograms were laid out smoother.

I'm using it with a 5.5yr old. He was already reading though, so we basically reviewed wks 1-5 in one week. He really picked up on the rules and the pairs he didn't know yet. He'll point them out to me in a book he's reading and tell me the rule. It does get more involved toward the middle/end of PR1, at least I think so for a 5yr old, but if going slow, it should be fine. And it also depends on the child. Another thing to look at (which I do), is by grade for our public schools, ds would be doing grammar in 1st grade, which by doing PR1 this year (essentially K), PR2 aligns right up with grammar for next year. Though I'm sure PR2 will be much more involved than what 1st g would be teaching. I don't think PR1 covers grammar at all, but we are doing a little here and there-simple stuff.

The only thing I don't like for PR1-I feel like there's no practice with the words or rules. We make a list of spelling words and come up with a sentence for them, but there's nothing to read with the words in it.

That's just how I feel. By wk 15, they are reading and illustrating books in PR1, so some people might be happy waiting until then. Right now ds is reading the Billy and Blaze books-if he comes to a word he doesn't know, he either figures it out himself, or I remind him of the rule and he gets it. That's the only way I can figure out how to practice.

We are about to enter Week 11 in PR1 and we love it!

My son just turned 5 (June 30) but he is also ahead academically and I did not/am not using it to teach him to read as he already reads at about a 4th grade level. Its become his FAVORITE subject though for spelling. He loves everything about it. He sings the rule tunes, likes to sound out the words to spell, and mark the words. First we go through the phonograms. Switching between him writing the phonograms down from me just saying their sounds or I tell him the phonogram and he has to tell me the sounds it makes. We go through and do all the words for the day on the clipboard with the wet erase marker and then write them on the blueprint page in pencil.

I can tell that its doing a great job of helping him think about spelling. I see him applying the rules and process in PR to everything outside of PR time. Something I had not seen when we were using AAS. Although to be fair, he was younger and it could have been an age thing (he was 4 1/2). He sailed through AAS easy enough and never got any of it wrong but it didn't carry over into other areas.

I was initially worried about it being too much for him because he is so young but it hasn't at all. Again though, I think it might be because of his being ahead. He can easily write and does dictation of sentences from me daily. Since it is only about 4 or 5 words a day, its a breeze for him. Of course, we are only on week 11 as I said.

This was our first week-I love it. I used Phonics Pathways first-and I still do like that one. We were able to switch with no problem. I felt around half way through PP, after looking at PR, the phonograms were laid out smoother.

I'm using it with a 5.5yr old. He was already reading though, so we basically reviewed wks 1-5 in one week. He really picked up on the rules and the pairs he didn't know yet. He'll point them out to me in a book he's reading and tell me the rule. It does get more involved toward the middle/end of PR1, at least I think so for a 5yr old, but if going slow, it should be fine. And it also depends on the child. Another thing to look at (which I do), is by grade for our public schools, ds would be doing grammar in 1st grade, which by doing PR1 this year (essentially K), PR2 aligns right up with grammar for next year. Though I'm sure PR2 will be much more involved than what 1st g would be teaching. I don't think PR1 covers grammar at all, but we are doing a little here and there-simple stuff.

The only thing I don't like for PR1-I feel like there's no practice with the words or rules. We make a list of spelling words and come up with a sentence for them, but there's nothing to read with the words in it.

That's just how I feel. By wk 15, they are reading and illustrating books in PR1, so some people might be happy waiting until then. Right now ds is reading the Billy and Blaze books-if he comes to a word he doesn't know, he either figures it out himself, or I remind him of the rule and he gets it. That's the only way I can figure out how to practice.

This is where copywork and dictation comes in. He dictates a sentence, using the spelling word, you write the word. Then he copies it and you read the sentence.

Also, consider you'll go from the easy readers in 1 right to the Little House in the Big Woods for L2...it's a nice jump! I spoke w/ Mrs. Beers about reading early in the program and her delay was so people wouldn't use controlled readers (readers w/ all the "at" words or "og" words, for example). Her intent is so that dc are applying and not memorizing ;) So glad you're liking it!

Wait, so I make up a sentence using the spelling words for the week and he writes the sentence? I suppose I could pull sentences from Billy and Blaze and dictate them to him?

Or were you meaning he come up with a sentence himself and write it down? He does that all the time. He was making a story about his brother and a star the other day. He was using letter stickers to write it. I thought to use our scrabble letters too and make a game of making the words and sentences. I do have these letter blocks too, that you connects. The v's are red and the c's are blue. We could do some type of shake some letters out and make words game.

We really are liking it. Though we'll see how this week goes. He likes the songs. Even learning all the sounds per pair isn't too much for him so far. I was worried it might be, because I know that can be confusing for some kids.

How is the comprehension with leaping right to the Little House books? Have you noticed any problems with that at first? It's one page a day w/ discussion right? I love the fact that it goes right to them. We try to stay away from all those "first reader" books. We do have some, but we rarely read them. I try to stick to books with good stories in them, and away from those "sight word" books.

Wait, so I make up a sentence using the spelling words for the week and he writes the sentence? I suppose I could pull sentences from Billy and Blaze and dictate them to him?

Or were you meaning he come up with a sentence himself and write it down? He does that all the time. He was making a story about his brother and a star the other day. He was using letter stickers to write it. I thought to use our scrabble letters too and make a game of making the words and sentences. I do have these letter blocks too, that you connects. The v's are red and the c's are blue. We could do some type of shake some letters out and make words game.

We really are liking it. Though we'll see how this week goes. He likes the songs. Even learning all the sounds per pair isn't too much for him so far. I was worried it might be, because I know that can be confusing for some kids.

How is the comprehension with leaping right to the Little House books? Have you noticed any problems with that at first? It's one page a day w/ discussion right? I love the fact that it goes right to them. We try to stay away from all those "first reader" books. We do have some, but we rarely read them. I try to stick to books with good stories in them, and away from those "sight word" books.

He comes up with them (you can urge or help as necessary) using the spelling word. Until he can write them on his own (via you repeating his sentence back to him), you write them, he copies. Seems like I missed that the first time around or maybe she doesn't mention it for a few weeks. In any case, that is the plan.

The comprehension is fine. It did take a couple of chapters for them to read super fast, but the fluency was fine and it only took us about 15 minutes per day to read through and discuss.

I was also concerned, initially, about learning so many songs so fast...our mistake :) Dc pick up songs so quickly!:D

Edited by johnandtinagilbert

Can you all share with me how your children enjoy PR? I own PR1 and I love it, but I chose to go with AAS and AAR (when it comes out), because my children are so young. I figured that I could start PR1 when my kids are 7 and 6 if I felt so inclined. ;) However, my kids really like AAS and I'm on the philosophy of being very gentle and teaching a love of learning in those early years. Can I do that with PR, or will my children dread me bringing it out every day? Also, what is the recommended age/grade for starting Latin Road? I'm wondering if I would need to start earlier with my 7yo.

Can you all share with me how your children enjoy PR? I own PR1 and I love it, but I chose to go with AAS and AAR (when it comes out), because my children are so young. I figured that I could start PR1 when my kids are 7 and 6 if I felt so inclined. ;) However, my kids really like AAS and I'm on the philosophy of being very gentle and teaching a love of learning in those early years. Can I do that with PR, or will my children dread me bringing it out every day? Also, what is the recommended age/grade for starting Latin Road? I'm wondering if I would need to start earlier with my 7yo.

I have 3 dc in the program and they like different things.

dgs 7 really likes the songs and using the white board for spelling. He also likes to dictate the sentences to me.

ds8 loves the markings. They have helped his reading tremendously. He regularly marks words in other subject areas. He also likes that the lessons are quick and painless.

dd10 likes the format and LOVES the literature (as do the boys).

The only drudgery we ever received when during acceleration for dd -- she was doing a LOT of work in one day.

I would rec. the Latin Road (I have 3 using that also) when you see Logic/Dialectic level thinking ability. That may be as early as 5th and as late as 7th; however, the Latin Road could come a year before that Logic level thinking and be just fine.

He comes up with them (you can urge or help as necessary) using the spelling word. Until he can write them on his own (via you repeating his sentence back to him), you write them, he copies. Seems like I missed that the first time around or maybe she doesn't mention it for a few weeks. In any case, that is the plan.

I am confused. Are you talking about PR1 here? I don't remember her instructing any dictation from the words right now, or maybe its later? I'm hoping I haven't missed it somewhere. I *thought* I'd been watching the videos completely and had a handle on how things were supposed to work.

It has been seeming easy so maybe that's missing? My son does do dictation daily but its not in relation to PR. I just pull dictation sentences from his daily reading.

I am confused. Are you talking about PR1 here? I don't remember her instructing any dictation from the words right now, or maybe its later? I'm hoping I haven't missed it somewhere. I *thought* I'd been watching the videos completely and had a handle on how things were supposed to work.

It has been seeming easy so maybe that's missing? My son does do dictation daily but its not in relation to PR. I just pull dictation sentences from his daily reading.

I wish I could be accurate in telling you where it is. I'm in PR3 now, so sometimes the levels blend together in my mind, but I do remember hearing her mention dictation from the words in level 1 --- only it was after we had already "not" been doing dictation. So, I'd say, if your child is capable of writing sentences, via copy work, that's the place to start.

1. Together you spell the list word;

2. (s)he dictates a sentence to you;

3. you write it on the board;

4. your dc copies the sentence

5. point out any words from the list;

6. student reads the sentence if possible.

In a short time, level2, dictation will pick up via the lit. study. Again, sorry I can't pinpoint for you. I watched the DVDs for levels 1&2 a zillion years ago, so I just follow my notes now and teach from there.

I have 3 dc in the program and they like different things.

dgs 7 really likes the songs and using the white board for spelling. He also likes to dictate the sentences to me.

ds8 loves the markings. They have helped his reading tremendously. He regularly marks words in other subject areas. He also likes that the lessons are quick and painless.

dd10 likes the format and LOVES the literature (as do the boys).

The only drudgery we ever received when during acceleration for dd -- she was doing a LOT of work in one day.

I would rec. the Latin Road (I have 3 using that also) when you see Logic/Dialectic level thinking ability. That may be as early as 5th and as late as 7th; however, the Latin Road could come a year before that Logic level thinking and be just fine.

Thank you for the response! This makes sense. Thanks!

:D:D Just another VOTE for PR as being awesome! I bought Level One, panicked and sold it, then TOTALLY regretted it! Now, I have Level One and Level Three (silly I know :)). We are ready to begin Level One (accelerating for my 8 year old) and I'm totally comfy with it now . . . even with the DVDs (had a panic attack at first which is why I sold them - silly silly Mommy).

Looking through Level 3 was THE confirming moment for me . . . I was literally shouting to my husband, "THIS is what I wanted . . . THIS is why I chose Phonics Road . . . THIS is what I was hoping for!!" It is thorough, rigorous, connected, organized, challenging, etc. I cannot wait to begin the literature studies with the children and really begin to see them OWN the English language. Of course, we will purchase Level Two when the time is right. Level Three will gleam from the bookshelf until we're ready for it :D. If I ever have a moment of wonder, worry or panic I'll just pull the gorgeous Level 3 materials off of the shelf, look through them and see where we're headed. Woohoo!

:D:D Just another VOTE for PR as being awesome! I bought Level One, panicked and sold it, then TOTALLY regretted it! Now, I have Level One and Level Three (silly I know :)). We are ready to begin Level One (accelerating for my 8 year old) and I'm totally comfy with it now . . . even with the DVDs (had a panic attack at first which is why I sold them - silly silly Mommy).

Looking through Level 3 was THE confirming moment for me . . . I was literally shouting to my husband, "THIS is what I wanted . . . THIS is why I chose Phonics Road . . . THIS is what I was hoping for!!" It is thorough, rigorous, connected, organized, challenging, etc. I cannot wait to begin the literature studies with the children and really begin to see them OWN the English language. Of course, we will purchase Level Two when the time is right. Level Three will gleam from the bookshelf until we're ready for it :D. If I ever have a moment of wonder, worry or panic I'll just pull the gorgeous Level 3 materials off of the shelf, look through them and see where we're headed. Woohoo!

THIS is a wonderful post! Level 1 really is just a glimpse! So glad you've found your way :)

Hmm, okay. I have previewed all the videos up until about week 16 in PR1. Maybe I'll just sit and watch them all through to be sure.

Thanks!

I wish I could be accurate in telling you where it is. I'm in PR3 now, so sometimes the levels blend together in my mind, but I do remember hearing her mention dictation from the words in level 1 --- only it was after we had already "not" been doing dictation. So, I'd say, if your child is capable of writing sentences, via copy work, that's the place to start.

1. Together you spell the list word;
  2. (s)he dictates a sentence to you;
  3. you write it on the board;
  4. your dc copies the sentence
  5. point out any words from the list;
  6. student reads the sentence if possible.

In a short time, level2, dictation will pick up via the lit. study. Again, sorry I can't pinpoint for you. I watched the DVDs for levels 1&2 a zillion years ago, so I just follow my notes now and teach from there.