Menu

Old TWTM vs. New TWTM-OP items

OregonNative

*EDIT* I rewrote this post because it was very unclear;) You will see it rewritten below as a response to Christiana.

My post was clear as mud right?:lol:

In The Well Trained Mind 3rd ed. book, it lists resources/suggestions for books and/or craft kits for the grammar stage that coordinate with SOTW1. Quite a bit of the resources are OP and I'm curious as to whether the new edition or TWTM has replaced those OP items with things that are available.

Edited by OregonNative

Are you asking about SOTW or WTM?

In The Well Trained Mind 3rd ed. book, it lists resources/suggestions for books and/or craft kits for the grammar stage that coordinate with SOTW1. Quite a bit of the resources are OP and I'm curious as to whether the new edition or TWTM has replaced those OP items with things that are available.

The 3rd ed. is the most recent edition of TWTM. No newer edition. And I don't think there are any updates for out of print books/materials.

Lisa

Do you mean "out of print?" If so, then unfortunately, going OOP happens a lot. You just have to look for similar books (library?) or look for craft books (library again :D) where you can find historical crafts to go with a SOTW topic. The WTM lists are just a starting place - there is so much out there.

Do you mean "out of print?" If so, then unfortunately, going OOP happens a lot. You just have to look for similar books (library?) or look for craft books (library again :D) where you can find historical crafts to go with a SOTW topic. The WTM lists are just a starting place - there is so much out there.

See what I mean about being "off"!:lol: Yes, I meant OOP:001_huh:

How do you go about finding similar items that WTM would use? It seems so overwhelming to me.

Are you looking at the SOTW Activity Guide or the WTM? Both are 2 completely different books.

Each volume of SOTW has it's own activity guide with resource lists. Is that what you are talking about? The activity guide? Some of the books might be out of print, but the activities for the instructions are actually in the SOTW supplement guide.

In the latest edition of the WTM on starting on p. 125 for grammar - most those are not out of print...

See what I mean about being "off"!:lol: Yes, I meant OOP:001_huh:

How do you go about finding similar items that WTM would use? It seems so overwhelming to me.

All I do is go to my library website and do searches. I can search by subject, title words, and "any word anywhere," among other choices. If I can't find a specific book listed in WTM, I just look through my SOTW chapter for key people/places/events/or anything else that catches my (or my child's) interest, and search by subject or title words. Then, I just choose from whatever pops up (usually quite a bit, but I sift through), and reserve books. I've done hardly any crafts for history, but occasionally I will remember to search for historical craft books in case my kids want to browse through and make something. So for that, I might type into the subject search: crafts ancient Egypt, or crafts Roman helmets, or crafts weaving, and so on. And then see what comes up. You can also do this for games - many books have games in them that you can make. You don't have to use all the WTM recommendations (though they are a hugely helpful starting point) - libraries are full of books with both historical reading topics, and game/craft ideas for history. Ancient cooking, too. Ancient art, ancient music, ancient musical instruments you can make, etc.. I found that once I got started with searching, I started to branch out and really explore the library, which is one of the points of WTM-style learning.

hth