Menu

The book that has restored my faith in the modern novel is....

I have found as I have read many of the acclaimed books of the past 25 years the themes are so often dark (both in a depressing way or in an overly-explicit way.) While I can appreciate the amazing writing, I can't help but feel that my soul is not uplifted by the time spent reading them.

But, this week I read the 2005 Pulitzer winner, Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. It is a wonderful book that I found to be well written and uplifting to my soul.

Does anyone else feel this way about modern fiction?

Yes, which is why I gave up on modern fiction back in the '80s and went to classics, apologetics, etc.

I might be willing to try Gilead, based on your rec. Would you tell us a bit more about it?

Yes, which is why I gave up on modern fiction back in the '80s and went to classics, apologetics, etc.

I might be willing to try Gilead, based on your rec. Would you tell us a bit more about it?

It is a book written in the form of a letter from a small town preacher to his younger son. The preacher is not healthy, but the book isn't about dying, it is about him writing his life lessons and stories for his son to read some day. Forgiveness and grace permeate the book, but it is not at all preachy in tone.

But there are a few exceptions - books that are modern and I *love*.

The Thirteenth Tale - Diane Setterfield

Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

There are others but I can't recall right now. These two stand out.

I'm talking more about the books that are considered to be literary prize-winners. I loved The Thirteenth Tale also and enjoyed Memoirs.

I have found as I have read many of the acclaimed books of the past 25 years the themes are so often dark (both in a depressing way or in an overly-explicit way.) While I can appreciate the amazing writing, I can't help but feel that my soul is not uplifted by the time spent reading them.

But, this week I read the 2005 Pulitzer winner, Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. It is a wonderful book that I found to be well written and uplifting to my soul.

I totally agree! I just ran to my bookshelf to see what i had there to recommend, and ended up standing there saying "Nope.....nope.....nope....". Beautiful stuff, but dark dark dark.Without getting into a discussion of postmodernism here, I can say that most modern literary works just break my heart and make me want to stay in bed for three days. I'll check out Gilead now! Thanks

I went out and bought "Gilead" today - can't wait to start reading it!