Menu

Chicago Symphony Orchestra ? re: age

The CSO is performing an all Prokofiev program, including Peter and the Wolf!!!!!!, on its November family concert. I really really want to take my son, who will turn 4yo a couple of weeks later. The "common questions" section of their site says the family concerts are for children 5-8yo. :glare: Surely they don't i.d. the kids. ;) Should I just pretend I didn't read that and take him? Or should I accomodate their (dumb) rules and wait a year? I have no worries about him sitting quietly or generally behaving well.

To get my wiggly little one to go and be good, I got the old Disney cartoon of it off EBay, so he would know the music inside and out. I even had a recording with....the bald guy who replaced Captain Kirk....doing the reading, and played it in the car. My son behaved at 4, but, and this may be a big but, he has always loved orchestral music and classical in general, and he was familiar with the piece. HTH.

If you think your child would be able to sit through the concert and not be bored (and therefore disruptive), then I think it would be ok to take him. My opinion is that the ages given are a general guideline. As in, kids younger might not be ready to sit through the concert and kids older might think the program is a bit "young."

Years ago we went to a children's concert of Peter and the Wolf. It was great--and my 4yo enjoyed it as well!

Cinder

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to view the ages as guidelines and take him. I'm very excited! We adore Peter and the Wolf here, and I'm a big Prokofiev nut. He's been listening to various recordings and reading a book version since he was wee, including the Patrick Stewart one - that's a great one. I'm sure I've played the 1st Symphony, but never pointed it out to him particularly. And I doubt he's ever heard the Music for Children. So I'll play those for him more frequently between now and then. I grabbed recordings of them all for our road trip today - we're going to a wolf park for a wolf walk. :D