Menu

Paypal question

Assuming you have a personal account, you can receive up to 5 credit card payments in a 12-month period now without having to upgrade your account. Here is the website I found that details this:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside

I should add I haven't done this myself, so don't know if there are any hoops you have to jump through (other than approving the credit card transaction). Do be aware that there will be a fee charged to your account for the cc payment, even if you aren't forced to upgrade to a premier account (which means that every transaction is charged a fee, whether cc or not).

They need to hook up their bank account to their PayPal account. They can do that on the website. They need to enter their bank information from a check (routing number for bank plus their account #). It takes about 3 days for PayPal to verify their bank information. PayPal makes two small deposits (a few cents each) in that account, and the owner has to log on to PayPal and tell them the exact amounts. Once they do that, PayPal knows that the bank account is truly theirs and they can draw money from it.

Incidentally, when you have a bank account hooked up to PayPal, it is not necessary to carry a PayPal balance. You can just pay with your PayPal account, and PayPal will make an instant transfer by debiting your bank account for the exact amount. This saves a lot of time because you don't have to wait 3 to 5 days to manually transfer money from your bank account to your PayPal account.

Alternatively, the person could just add the fee on to their cc payment to you. This is not legal for eBay sellers, but I think it's fine for personal sales.