Menu

A very fun game I've discovered:

Wish

http://minecraft.net

I've recently discovered "Minecraft", a really fun game that's pretty much suitable for all ages. It's also free (up to a point - it costs $15 or ten euro for an updated version of the game).

I've found it's great for me to exercise my creativity, while also being very challenging and scary at times, depending on the mode.

There are two modes: Creative Mode and Survival Mode.

In Creative Mode, you have an unlimited amount of 'blocks' which you can build with in a pre-made terrain (which is also entirely made of blocks). You can build virtually anything you want with it all, and there's no limit to how much you can do (besides your imagination).

In Survival Mode, you have to 'mine' for materials (or chop down trees for wood, for example) - even simple things, like dirt. It's very challenging, because some materials are more rare than others, and some are very necessary.

In the day, you can do whatever you want. At night, you need torches anywhere where you don't want monsters to be created (which requires coal - a resource that took me a while to find at first). There's a 'peaceful' mode, though, where nothing will attack you (simply because fighting isn't really a necessary aspect of the game; it's completely optional), which I've been playing on.

It seems to me like it would be fun for the whole family (and suitable), so I'm thinking of buying an account for the family.

It doesn't come in a disc or anything (It's all done from an account from the website, or from a .exe program you can download to your computer for offline use), so it's not very expensive.

It's currently in the 'alpha', so there are a few bugs. It hasn't even reached beta stage yet, and it's a great game!

Just thought I'd post this here because y'all seem like you'd enjoy it quite a bit.

Edited by Wish

• 2 weeks later...
http://minecraft.net

I've recently discovered "Minecraft", a really fun game that's pretty much suitable for all ages. It's also free (up to a point - it costs $15 or ten euro for an updated version of the game).

I've found it's great for me to exercise my creativity, while also being very challenging and scary at times, depending on the mode.

There are two modes: Creative Mode and Survival Mode.

In Creative Mode, you have an unlimited amount of 'blocks' which you can build with in a pre-made terrain (which is also entirely made of blocks). You can build virtually anything you want with it all, and there's no limit to how much you can do (besides your imagination).

In Survival Mode, you have to 'mine' for materials (or chop down trees for wood, for example) - even simple things, like dirt. It's very challenging, because some materials are more rare than others, and some are very necessary.

In the day, you can do whatever you want. At night, you need torches anywhere where you don't want monsters to be created (which requires coal - a resource that took me a while to find at first). There's a 'peaceful' mode, though, where nothing will attack you (simply because fighting isn't really a necessary aspect of the game; it's completely optional), which I've been playing on.

It seems to me like it would be fun for the whole family (and suitable), so I'm thinking of buying an account for the family.

It doesn't come in a disc or anything (It's all done from an account from the website, or from a .exe program you can download to your computer for offline use), so it's not very expensive.

It's currently in the 'alpha', so there are a few bugs. It hasn't even reached beta stage yet, and it's a great game!

Just thought I'd post this here because y'all seem like you'd enjoy it quite a bit.

My 4 boys just discovered this game this week and I was wondering if I ought to research it more before allowing them to play it...thanks for the review!!!

Kathi