Menu

Quick essay "how to's" prior to SAT?

IEW has a dvd called "High School Essay Intensive". Here's the link.

From the website:

"This seminar presents tools and tips for tackling the timed opinion-based essay as currently included in the SAT exam, and introduces strategies for writing a well-crafted personal essay for a college application. A CD-ROM containing the .pdf files for both seminar handouts, and several bonus files (text, mp3, and powerpoint) dealing with other aspects of SAT preparation is included."

I've found having my daughter sketch an outline daily to answer an essay question very helpful. I usually tie it in with current events. I have her read a newspaper article and then I come up with an essay question.

I don't require her to write the essay, but instead I just have her come up with a thesis and a quick outline. She's become so efficient it now only takes her around 5-7 minutes to plan what she would write.

I think just coming up with the ideas and outline of the essay is what hampers kids a lot of times. Don't know if this will help your student, but it has helped my daughter with time management tremendously.

This is a really great idea! Similarly, I am trying to figure out how to find time in my son's day to outline an article in the newspaper or a magazine and then write a precis, so he can see how professional writers make their points. Not necessarily SAT prep, but good for writing in general.

Blessings,

April

Is this just a workbook? I found another IEW course that looks similar at Rainbow Resource but it includes a DVD. Are these the same? If so, is the DVD a good option?

No, they are not the same. The link I gave you is for a short intensive "how-to" for the SAT essay. It specifically targets how to write for the SAT essay. The names are similar so it is confusing.

This is from the Rainbow Resource description:

College-bound high school students are expected to write essays. Of the many, there are two essays that are “once-in-a-lifetime†experiences – the SAT essay and the college entrance essay. These are very specific types of writing tasks and are quite different. One is a timed response to a prompt. It must be completed quickly, coherently, and legibly. On the other hand, you can take as much time as you want writing the other. It must be as close to perfect as possible. You can prepare for these writing experiences. Andrew Pudewa, in his own inimitable style, shows you how in this entertaining, six-hour seminar. This video seminar is contained within a four DVD set – two discs each covering the SAT essay and the college entrance essay. There is a bonus CD-ROM disc providing all the necessary handouts in PDF format to be printed prior to watching. Also included on the bonus disc is an audio essay preparation seminar by Julie Walker in MP3 format.

Discussion of the SAT essay includes an examination of the six-point scoring rubric – critical thinking skills, reasoning examples, language and vocabulary, sentence structure, organization and focus, and grammar, usage and mechanics – as well as analysis of scored essays and specific preparation strategies.

Starting with an overview of what colleges are looking for in essays, the discussion of the college entrance essay progresses to an analysis of samples as well as specific writing strategies including the TRIAC model.

As expected, the most important preparation activity for these two types of essays is to write – a lot. You can, nevertheless, make the best use of your preparation writing activities by utilizing the strategies presented in this seminar. ~ Janice

I've found having my daughter sketch an outline daily to answer an essay question very helpful. I usually tie it in with current events. I have her read a newspaper article and then I come up with an essay question.

I don't require her to write the essay, but instead I just have her come up with a thesis and a quick outline. She's become so efficient it now only takes her around 5-7 minutes to plan what she would write.

I think just coming up with the ideas and outline of the essay is what hampers kids a lot of times. Don't know if this will help your student, but it has helped my daughter with time management tremendously.

This is a great idea! I wish I had heard of it sooner :tongue_smilie: But I think I'll try to implement it with the younger 2 boys.