Menu

Difference between First Language Lessons and Writing With Ease? Confused!

Guest lindyhopkins

Guest lindyhopkins

Can someone please explain to me the difference between First Language Lessons and Writing with Ease? They seem to use the same methods. Is WWE just focused more on writing? I don't get it....

Also, are you required to have both the student workbook and the teacher text for WWE, or can you just provide your own handwriting paper?

I am sorting out second grade. How do you balance spelling, handwriting, grammar, and language without buying a curriculum for all of the above?

Anyone who has used both of these programs, please sort it out for me!

Thank you,

Stephanie

I know there have been lots of threads on this, you might try doing a search on FLL or WWE.

But here's the quick answer...

FLL is grammar (nouns, vbs, sentences, etc.)

WWE is the mechanics of writing, in 2nd grade it will be narration (telling the main parts of a passage), copywork, and dictation.

FLL also includes some copywork and dictation as optional exercises. I personally don't do many of those since we are also doing WWE. I modify FLL quite a bit, as far as the extra exercises.

For WWE, the teacher text explains the program, what your goals are and how to evaluate your child for the level. It includes about 4 weeks of sample lessons (picked from different times of the year) for each level. The workbook, each level is a separate workbook, only contains the exact implementation for that year, includes all the daily readings, copywork, selections for dictation, including student pages to tear out for the child to use. There is no real explanation of the theory or anything like that. It's very pick up and go. The WWE teacher text will give you a good framework for how to teach your child writing over the course of the 4 yrs, but you will have to choose your own passages to use for narration, dictation and copywork .

Hope that helps!

Cranberry pretty much explained the components.

We started 2nd grade with FLL 2, WWE 2, handwriting, and spelling.

We dropped handwriting. Dd was doing pretty good with printing and I watch her do dictations and copywork for WWE, spelling, and history.

I dropped FLL for a simple, more traditional grammar workbook. We talk through narrations and dictations so much already that she likes the change of pace.

• 1 year later...

For WWE, the teacher text explains the program, what your goals are and how to evaluate your child for the level. It includes about 4 weeks of sample lessons (picked from different times of the year) for each level. The workbook, each level is a separate workbook, only contains the exact implementation for that year, includes all the daily readings, copywork, selections for dictation, including student pages to tear out for the child to use. There is no real explanation of the theory or anything like that. It's very pick up and go. The WWE teacher text will give you a good framework for how to teach your child writing over the course of the 4 yrs, but you will have to choose your own passages to use for narration, dictation and copywork .

Hope that helps!

If you are already familiar with SWB's writing methods via her speeches & the WTM book, would it be OK to just get the WWE workbook? Or do you need both?

I plan to do WWE with 4 kids - do I need 4 workbooks? Or is this something where I should buy 1 for me to read out of and just hand out plain writing paper for the kids to do the exercises?

If you are already familiar with SWB's writing methods via her speeches & the WTM book, would it be OK to just get the WWE workbook? Or do you need both?

If you've listened to her "Plan for Teaching Writing" lecture, you don't need the instructor text if you plan to use the workbooks.

I plan to do WWE with 4 kids - do I need 4 workbooks? Or is this something where I should buy 1 for me to read out of and just hand out plain writing paper for the kids to do the exercises?

You just need one workbook, and either get extra student pages, get the PDF version of the student pages ($9.50, I think?), or use your own paper. I use Startwrite, since I don't like the line size on the student pages. They're huge in book 1. It's been easy to make my own pages. If you like the line size of the student pages (print out the sample!), get the PDF version.

We are planning on buying the pages from the website after dd1 is done. We had the 4 yr text, but I just needed something to open and go. I just can't do all of the planning that was required, not that it was that much planning. I just feel like I’m terrible at picking passages. We do both WWE & FLL. I feel like WWE is more about the thought processes behind writing. I love that it breaks up the thoughts and the actual process of writing. My dd's have really needed that. FLL is more about memorizing/learning the grammar rules. We do some of the dictation/writing in the FLL because I feel like WWE isn't quite enough.