Menu

Okay, fine, I will teach my children Latin!

Nakia

:lol: I have fought and fought. I didn't want to do Latin, but now I can see it's worth. I need your recommendations for an easy to use program that I can use for my 5th grader who has never studied Latin. I would like to be able to include my 2nd grader as well. Oh, and it has to be cheap! Thanks!

BTW, a friend of mine from church, who is from Mexico, is going to teach my girls Spanish starting probably next month. Will it be too much to study Latin at the same time? Would it be better to wait on the Latin? I really want them to learn Spanish, so that is not optional. This might need to be a separate thread.

You could use Lively Latin with a 2nd and 5th grader, but they would probably need to be taught separately as the 5th grader could move through it a lot more quickly. I wouldn't exactly call it cheap, though. Another option... Getting Started With Latin. I haven't used it, but I'm using Getting Started With Spanish with my 7th, 3rd, and 1st grader, and I've been happy with it. You may want to consider waiting a few months before you start Latin, though, so they can get their heads around the Spanish first. I think that starting two new languages at the same time could be tough.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

My 5th grader is using Latin Primer by Martha Wilson, he likes it. It is a real no-nonsense kind of book. You listen to the words, repeat, and answer worksheets.

My 1st grade son is using Songschool Latin, which I absolutely Love!! My 2yo goes around singing the Latin songs. :001_smile: You do not need anything but the student textbook, so it is pretty cheap.

We learn French at the same time. There has not been any confusion at all between all the languages, but they are learning to connect all 3.

I don't know Latin, and my 7th grader doesn't either - but we decided this year we were going to tackel it. We are using Getting Started with Latin and it is now one of Ds's favorite subjects. It goes slowly, and is only a beginning course, but it has been a wonderful introduction for us. The free online Mp3 files have been wonderful!