Menu

College Admissions

Since joining the forum, I have read dozens of posts, asked questions (thank you for the responses), and looked at many curriculum options. I realize that using SWB's four-year history cycle will provide enough credits for history and literature, but I would like to know if anyone has had difficulty with college admissions using non-traditional materials/ approaches? We are facing a move because of dh's job (company closing), and while we are hoping to hear about a transfer to a nearby state before dd starts high school next year, we may be moving during her sophomore year. I don't want to start something that will cause problems down the road, but I also don't want to worry about something that isn't an issue.

We graduated two sons from our homeschool. One went into the Navy, and they accepted his homeschool transcript without question because of his ASVAB and ACT scores. We used a literaure approach for most of his history, and his reviewing officer made a point of complimenting dh on our son's reading list/education. Our oldest son was admitted to a state university without any problems, also because of his ACT scores. In fact, in our state, only one private university puts up roadblocks for homeschooled students. They require three SAT 1 tests. I have checked with universities in neighboring states, and they all accept a homeschool transcript. However, we don't know if the transfer will come through, so we could be moving anywhere.

I would appreciate input from those of you who have dealt with the admission process at more selective schools.

Bonita

Edited by 1Togo

We are following the WTM history rotation and Great Books through high school, but I am aligning the courses on her transcript with our school district's titles for history and english courses. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't technically matter, for instance, that we're spreading out US Government over the two years they fall in our history rotation, but on the transcript I'll just put American Government taken in the junior year. As long as it all gets completed by the end, and it's the same number of credits/ hours. . . I'm the one awarding the diploma. I'll happily explain this to any colleges that care for details, but I'm not convinced it will come up. Don't know if that helps or not.

Pam,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. What you describe is what I would do if we use the WTM history rotation. However, I would like to know if anyone has gone the WTM route for history and science and had trouble; i.e. colleges that want to see a textbook with grades. It seems that many families on the WTM boards follow a 4-year cycle during the years prior to high school, but most switch to traditional subjects during the high school years except for literature.

Bonita

You can list whatever you use a spine(Spielvogel or other choice) as your textbook. Then we listed some of ther books (the primary source books and well known books) also as texts. My son was acceptedto the college. We listed history as Ancient History, History of The Middle Ages, World Modern History and Us Government and History ( to fit into requirements)