Menu

Roasted Green Chilles

Jules

OK...I just received a batch of roasted green chilles from New Mexico. I understand how to peel, de-vein them. What does one do with a whole bunch of these? What would be the best way to preserve and I am also wondering about making a homemade green chili sauce for enchiladas. Do you have any tips or recipes you could share on this? Thanks in advance....

Oh yum! Roasted chiles are the best.

Well, down here, we eat them alone. As in, "Hmmm, it's snack time. I think I'll have some chiles." No joke... But I know that most of the world would consider this a little extreme, so I would suggest hitting RecipeZaar.com for a good salsa verde recipe. Otherwise, you can cut them up and add to any soups, stews, tacos, enchiladas, meat, fish (oooh, they're super yummy with fish), etc. I've never had a bag last longer than a couple of days, so I really have no idea how you would go about preserving them. Turning them into a salsa of some sort would be my way of making them last.

As a side note, their is a chef named Rick Bayless that authors a couple of Mexican Recipe books. He has a few green chile recipes in his book "Mexico One Plate at a Time." You could probably find the book on amazon or at a local library.

Enjoy!

OK...thanks for th suggestions. I will look into them. I am going to freeze some for nachos/taco meals. But....I would really like to know how to make up a green sauce for enchiladas/burritos. I have never done that and it would be nice to have a homemade sauce inside of the store bought stuff with all the additives.