Menu

Rosetta Stone Spanish 2 Question

Dd is working through RS Spanish 2. She does very well on the computer program itself - all of her grades are solid A's. But - we have the workbook as well, and she is having a difficult time on that. At first, she was having a hard time understanding what the directions were asking her to do, but she is more comfortable with that aspect of it now. It just seems that what she is learning on the computer program is not translating to the workbook.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks so much -

Deb

Our version of RS 1 came with a workbook, but we hardly ever used it. I mainly had the kids do the pictures, words, and typing aspects of the program. I am a native spanish speaker and I can tell you that this was plenty of work to get them to understand and speak properly. Workbook just seemed to be overkill and busywork. Once they each finished, I purchased RS 2&3 regular version, not homeschool, because I knew I wasn't going to use the workbook. Now dd is working in RS 3 and ds in RS 2.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that it's OK to dump the workbook if your child is understanding and can do the work in the program. My rule with each lesson is "90% or better" move to the next lesson, otherwise redo the lesson.

Hope this helps. ;)

Lavender in Oklahoma

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

We are in Level 1 but I like the workbook because it brings to light weaknesses that the computer part of the program doesn't catch. My kids were getting high A's on everything on the computer but didn't understand conjugating verbs and some of the pronouns, which I learned by using the workbook. This allowed me to address the problem while it was still small. I've been very happy with Rosetta Stone in general but have found it doesn't cover grammar as well as I would like so I added some outside resources. Having additional instruction on things like verb conjugation, pronouns, etc made a big difference for my kids.

We are in Level 1 but I like the workbook because it brings to light weaknesses that the computer part of the program doesn't catch. My kids were getting high A's on everything on the computer but didn't understand conjugating verbs and some of the pronouns, which I learned by using the workbook. This allowed me to address the problem while it was still small. I've been very happy with Rosetta Stone in general but have found it doesn't cover grammar as well as I would like so I added some outside resources. Having additional instruction on things like verb conjugation, pronouns, etc made a big difference for my kids.

:iagree:

We did RS without the workbook last year. This year I have added it and we have all found weaknesses. It gives extra practice in grammar and writing which are the two most difficult things to pick up from using the program.

You might need to go back and have her do some work in the Level 1 workbook to find what she is missing and plug gaps. It is available online.

We're using Rosetta with the MFW lesson plans and they felt the workbook doesn't go well with the program, so they replaced it with other things in their lesson plans.

I haven't even looked at the workbook CD that came with our Rosetta. But if you want a grammar workbook, my older dd had success with Barron's "Easy Way" or "E-Z" series. This one inexpensive workbook covered about three years of French grammar, according to a teacher I worked with, and the answers were in the back in English (most of the textbook programs I looked at had teacher materials written in French by level 2).

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN