Menu

Classical Writing and Teaching the Classics

Roxy Roller

I've never used CW, though I investigated it and felt quite intimidated by it. It is primarily a writing program, but one that extensively analyzes good quality literature. I gather that you analyze the good quality literature, then try to mimic it. That's my take on it anyway.

I own Teaching the Classics and have watched it twice now. It is primarily a way to help parent and student discuss literature. Adam Andrews talks about context, structure, and style. Context is the background information on the author and time period. The structure of the story is nicely written on the story chart (plot, conflict, character, setting, theme). Style is how the author writes using things like alliteration, similes, foreshadowing, etc. Then, Adam has the Socratic List of questions to ask in order to pull all the above information out of the students.

HTH!

They are very, very different. CW is a writing program and the analysis on literature is to further your understanding of writing.

TTC is meant to further your understanding of the book you are reading. In TTC you'll learn about the elements of a story, chart stories, and discuss things like theme and climax.

I use both and there really isn't any overlap.