Menu

Progeny Press v. Smarr

We've used Smarr for Intro to Lit. and American Lit. I'm just wondering the obvious things like which one does a better job of vocab build-up? Does Progeny, for instance, take it a step further and quiz on it like Smarr does? Whose vocab seems harder (better quality)? Same for the lit questions. Smarr teacher grammar and writing, does Progeny? Which one is more challenging overall? Easier to work with? I'm not necessarily looking for answers to these exact questions as much as wanting to have a thorough first-hand account/review of someone who has used both. Sometimes it can be kind of hard to glean this much just from online samples. I'd really appreciate it. Now I'm off to have lunch but I'll check in sporadically. TIA

Blessings,

Libby in Texas :)

Mama to ~ ~ ~

3 lovely, delightful daughters and 1 sweet, chivalrous son!!

Personally I think Smarr is harder and more thorough. My dd told me it was boring but it was the best course she took because it taught her so much about vocab and writing. The PP guide we used was mostly questions to test comprehension and analyze and discuss what was being read. It had no writing in it and very little vocabulary. I agree with Dd Smarr can be boring at times and the books aren't my favorite but I think it is a much more thorough program and my Dd grades in college have supported that.

Wow, thanks Alyce! Thinking about what you said, I guess using Progeny would mean I'd have to supplement or have my kiddos do a full vocabulary & writing program separately, but alongside. Right? I think we should Smarr but for some reason there's something about Progeny that I really like. I guess maybe their reading selections. Looking at their online samples the questions seem more involved. Just wondering what your dd thought of Progeny. Thanks again!

Blessings,

~Libby in Texas :)

We have no experience with Smarr, but really like the PP guide "Dig Deeper" questions and "Analysis" questions.

It depends on how much money you have. If you like the PP questions you can use other vocab and writing materials.

For ds's coursework, we would just work through the harder Dig and Analysis questions together. He did the vocab at his own speed, when he found words he didn't know. Since he had done well on the 10th grade PSAT, I wasn't so worried about vocab. But he did some other vocab books as well...SAT prep books, vocab cards...

A long time ago, I thought I had to work through the PP guide meticulously...had to get every exercise done. Now I use them to serve the purpose of stimulating discussion with thought provoking questions with answers if I haven't read or just spot read the text myself.

Just another option (since I like to see all possible options),

Joan

I like your idea about not feeling like you have to do all the exercises, but rather turning your focus to more discussion. Do you mind if I ask what kind of writing materials worked for your ds? I'm curious because my 9th grade ds might do Progeny. We can afford either one. Not concerned about cost. I am concerned about writing where I have to watch a lot of dvds (IEW). Just don't have time for that. Sounds like you did a great job with your ds :).

Libby in Texas :)