Menu

What do I need for Shurley Grammar?

curlygirlzx2

Guest ME-Mommy

I'm no expert by any means -- I have NO idea what's in a "kit" and I've never used Shurley for 1st grade. ;)

I'm currently using Shurley 4 and Shurley 7. I bought the TM & Jingles CD used - $25 ppd for each level and the Student Texts and Practice Booklets from CBD. That's all...

We are currently using FLL 1 but my dd doesn't care for it so I was thinking of switching to Shurely. Do I really need to purchase the whole kit for level 1? It seems like an awful lot of stuff. Is it worth the price?

The basic "kit" is just the TM, workbook and CD- if you buy used the CD may be missing, but the jingle words are in the books and you can find some of them online (several of the jingles are more like poems than songs anyway, so you aren't missing too much without the CD)

we found the TM and workbook sufficient, if your DD needs more practice- then I'd get the practice booklet; a fair amount of the topics will occur again in the next level, too.

We are currently using FLL 1 but my dd doesn't care for it so I was thinking of switching to Shurely. Do I really need to purchase the whole kit for level 1? It seems like an awful lot of stuff. Is it worth the price?

i use shurley 2 and 5. I'm not sure what you are including the kit.

I have the TM(including CD) the student book and the practice book. you need the TM and student book. the only optional item I have is the practice book. WELL WORTH THE $ to get this book. really. my kids love doing the classifying and the sentences would have to be writen out anyway. This way it is in a book all neatly typed out.

brand new, the TM and student book is $56 and $7 for the practice book. I have also heard that you can spread the levels over 2 years and then skip levels. so you would use shurley1 over 1st and 2nd grades then buy shurley 3 for 3 +4 grades, then shurley 5 for 5+6 then buy shurley 7.

I purchased used from craiglist and from this board. I believe level 1 is for sale at the moment. do a search. The cheapest place I found NEW is online from finders-keepers and they have free shipping for $50 and up.

The only other piece I would consider buying is the classifying with quigley CD game. only b/c my kids like playing on the computer and I don't let them a whole lot. and they really enjoy classifiying the sentences.

We like it here and my kids(and I) are learning a lot.

robin in NJ