Menu

If your dc went from R+S English 5 into Analytical Grammar, was AG mostly review?

HappyGrace

The scope of R+S 5 seems like it covers more than AG; is this true? Trying to figure out if AG would be redundant after R+S 5. Thanks!

My guess from just watching posts is the answer is yes and no. :D

AS tends to cover things from a big picture prospective. Thus they won't do things like look at pronouns as being from the 1st, 2nd or 3rd person, or other roles they might be playing (demonstrative, interrogative, indefinite, personal-other than listing them that way in the lesson). The same holds true with other parts of speech as well. In fact when you parse a sentence they have you mark all nouns with N or PN, and don't have you worry about if it is an indirect object, direct object, object of the preposition, ect.. You demonstrate those when you diagram it.

If R&S is that detailed then AG would very likely be review. My bet the first season will be either way, the second season may or may not. The third season works off the information in the 2nd.

The bigger difference, to me, is that AG is more streamlined, you don't have to use it all year. Guess I would ask how much of R&S 6 is review of 5?

Not trying to sell you on AG, it is not for everyone. In fact the order taught is totally different from R&S which would either work for the child, or they might hate. I also am pretty sure that R&S 6 and 7 do go beyond AG from what I have heard. Just trying to push your thinking a little to hopefully help you figure out what you want. :D

Heather

We have never used R&S. But I do have two opions on AG.

AG is very detailed.

Our DD did it in one year (8th) and got a B.

Our DS started it in 6th grade. So we were going to complete it in three years. He did really well the first year. The come this year, 7th, he forgot just about everything he had done the previous year. Since you have to build on the knowledge you have already learned, it didn't do us any good to continue. So we stopped and went onto another grammar.

That said. I think it would be best to do it in one year.

That is the part I'm a little freaked out over-yes, doing only ten wks would be great, but not sure how retention would be.

Heather-thanks-this is exactly the type of thing I'm trying to wrap my head around!

Maybe it would be good to wait til 7th and just do all of AG in one year that year. I'll have to put this into "think mode" in my brain for awhile! :)

That is the part I'm a little freaked out over-yes, doing only ten wks would be great, but not sure how retention would be.

Heather-thanks-this is exactly the type of thing I'm trying to wrap my head around!

Maybe it would be good to wait til 7th and just do all of AG in one year that year. I'll have to put this into "think mode" in my brain for awhile! :)

Well with the 10 weeks then nothing part I am not of help. Not only do we do it at half pace (so 20 weeks) doing CW means they are still doing grammar work even when they aren't doing AG.

In our case CW does go into that detail, and my oldest has followed the CW grammar fine with AG as a base.

I did freak out a couple of months ago wondering what we would do when AG was finished. I looked at R&S and several other programs. I have the opposite problem in they seem like there is so much repetition. What I really want for review is a bunch of sentences for them to diagram, just to practice and keep the skills sharp with. I really don't want more instruction because we can always go back to AG for that. I suppose I will buy the AG practice book, but will probably do one sentence a day vs. twice a week. When that is done I have no idea what I will do. :001_huh:

Heather

That is exactly what I'm thinking; what would the long run look like with AG, especially since we don't have a grammar backup like CW-I'm wondering if it would just be better to go with something with more continuity in the long run. We're doing R+S English 5 this yr, so I'm thinking it might just be better to go right into CLE6 and then stick with CLE-it's quick, to the point, and independent (we'd do just the grammar portion.) At this point in my homeschooling, continuity and ease of use are my friends!:)

Well with the 10 weeks then nothing part I am not of help. Not only do we do it at half pace (so 20 weeks) doing CW means they are still doing grammar work even when they aren't doing AG.

In our case CW does go into that detail, and my oldest has followed the CW grammar fine with AG as a base.

I did freak out a couple of months ago wondering what we would do when AG was finished. I looked at R&S and several other programs. I have the opposite problem in they seem like there is so much repetition. What I really want for review is a bunch of sentences for them to diagram, just to practice and keep the skills sharp with. I really don't want more instruction because we can always go back to AG for that. I suppose I will buy the AG practice book, but will probably do one sentence a day vs. twice a week. When that is done I have no idea what I will do. :001_huh:

Heather

Heather, there are four high school reinforcement books; plenty to take you the rest of the way.

Also, if you break up AG over two or three years, you MUST use the reinforcement and review book during the break. Without it the student will forget what was learned the year prior. Unfortunately, some users simply do the 10 weeks and don't follow through with the periodic reinforcements. Without it, you're asking for a lot of struggling the next year when you pick up season 2.

Heather, there are four high school reinforcement books; plenty to take you the rest of the way.

Also, if you break up AG over two or three years, you MUST use the reinforcement and review book during the break. Without it the student will forget what was learned the year prior. Unfortunately, some users simply do the 10 weeks and don't follow through with the periodic reinforcements. Without it, you're asking for a lot of struggling the next year when you pick up season 2.

Erin,

Good to know! With CW there is a lot of grammar so between the two that should take care of things. It is good to have a plan!

Heather

Erin,

Good to know! With CW there is a lot of grammar so between the two that should take care of things. It is good to have a plan!

Heather

Good point! Just make sure to practice parsing and diagraming a few sentences here and there using our process. By the time you get to season 2, that process should be ingrained.