Menu

Reading Outliers with my eighth grader: report inside.

Catherine

Actually, we are listening to a recording of it. It has really opened my son's eyes-hearing it from someone other than Mom, with great supporting evidence and details, the "story of success" (story of hard work, with some detail and embellishments).

I definitely think this book rivals Do Hard Things, in terms of serving as motivation for young teens who need to hear that what they do now in their lives matters very much to who they become when they are adults. Of course it is also a much more palatable book for anyone who is not a conservative, evangelical Christian. Plus, the writing is very engaging, and the examples he uses are both surprising and uplifting, because one of the points he's making is that our cultural legacy matters, but can also be excaped, if it is not helping us. It's a very hopeful message and also a message on work and diligence that many young adults can benefit from hearing.

My son plays the cello, and his dedication to practicing has markedly changed after listening to the book! He is also taking a more grownup attitude toward school in general and chores too. He's pursuing an exercise in "effort and reward". One point the book makes is that successful adults often have childhoods in which they clearly experience the relationship between effort and reward. I'm also trying to help them have more "effort\reward" experiences now than I did in the past.

Thank you Malcolm Gladwell! This book has really changed our lives.

non-evangelicals. I totally agree with the authors that young people are not challenged enough by their lives, and are capable of much more. What made the book a difficult read for me though was the very religious, very conservative, and rather self-congratulatory tone.

More than once I've seen secular parents ask if there was a less evangelical alternative to Do Hard Things, and I'm proposing that Outliers might serve that purpose for some people.

My sister, who is a motivatar and storyteller for the largest insurance company in England, loves this book. She has told me that she believes that if you want to be successful in this economy following Gladwell's principles can help you get there. I have it on my to read list and may well use it with my oldest daughter.

My highschooler and I both enjoyed _Outliers_. The 10,000 hour idea has been a frequent discussion topic in our house. We've also dissected Gladwell's criticisms of the American education system.

While I think many of the criticisms of Gladwell's work are valid, the book is still interesting food for thought!

Actually, we are listening to a recording of it. It has really opened my son's eyes-hearing it from someone other than Mom, with great supporting evidence and details, the "story of success" (story of hard work, with some detail and embellishments).

I definitely think this book rivals Do Hard Things, in terms of serving as motivation for young teens who need to hear that what they do now in their lives matters very much to who they become when they are adults. Of course it is also a much more palatable book for anyone who is not a conservative, evangelical Christian. Plus, the writing is very engaging, and the examples he uses are both surprising and uplifting, because one of the points he's making is that our cultural legacy matters, but can also be excaped, if it is not helping us. It's a very hopeful message and also a message on work and diligence that many young adults can benefit from hearing.

My son plays the cello, and his dedication to practicing has markedly changed after listening to the book! He is also taking a more grownup attitude toward school in general and chores too. He's pursuing an exercise in "effort and reward". One point the book makes is that successful adults often have childhoods in which they clearly experience the relationship between effort and reward. I'm also trying to help them have more "effort\reward" experiences now than I did in the past.

Thank you Malcolm Gladwell! This book has really changed our lives.

We had the same experience here. My son doesn't have a specific skill that he was able to apply, but it really helped motivate him academically--to give his all in what he is called to do right now as a student.

I read the book and found it interesting. I've read others of his too, though I think he may verge on pop-psychology. Why wouldn't evangelical Christians enjoy the book? I'm trying to remember but I don't remember any anti-Christian stuff. Of course I'm not particularly conservative.

I don't recall anything anti-Christian. My only caution would be the discussion about the Beatles had some 'groupie' references I didn't care for my kids to hear.