Menu

What is Matin Latin?

imhim

I will do latin next year, and found a teacher manual an student book at a homeschool store that is going out of business really cheap ($9 for both) - no cd or dvd - is this a good course? They also have Latin Road - looked through it and it seems more complicated. Also Latina Christiana 1. Don't know if I should buy any of these for next year.

Any input?

We used Matin Latin years ago and enjoyed it. There are newer and more popular programs now. Here's my review:

We started Matin Latin 1 when ds was 10. We completed Matin Latin 1 & 2 in 2 years. We homeschool year round.

I liked the looks of Latin for Children, but I read a review that called it "ambitious". It looked great, but ambitious to me. And since I have NO Latin background, and Matin Latin is supposed to be good for those of us with no Latin background, I went with it.

I've been happy with it. Matin Latin 1 covers nouns (subject, predicate, direct object, indirect object, object of the preposition, possessive), verbs (present, future, imperfect), sum (the verb “to beâ€), adjectives, predicate adjectives, prepositions and prepositional phrases. Only 1st declension nouns (feminine) are introduced. Each topic is presented first in English, then in Latin. So, present tense verbs are presented first in English, then in Latin. It has an answer key. It has quite a bit of translating from Latin to English. We worked 2x per week up to an hour a day for 8-9 month to complete it.

Matin Latin 2 covers 2nd & 3rd declension nouns, more verb tenses (perfect, pluperfect, future perfect), 2nd & 3rd conjugation verb, adverbs, conjunctions, and more. The last few months, we worked 3x per week, and I found that I needed to study more beforehand. We completed Matin Latin 2 in 1 ¼ years. The best advice a woman gave me about ML 2 was to allow it to take more than a year. Ds has now moved on to Oxford Latin with a Latin tutor. Yippee! Matin Latin was a great foundation!

In Matin Latin 1 & 2, there are several stories from the Old Testament: Joshua & Jericho, Daniel & the lion, Adam & Eve, Noah, Tower of Babel, Abraham & Isaac, Jacob & Esau. There is the Roman myth of Androcles and the lion, Ceres and Persephone, and the Roman god Bacchus. There are stories about Roman life and a girl named Julia who lives with her father by the seashore. There are no prayers to be memorized and chanted daily. The only specifically Christian content is Jesus Loves Me on a “just for fun†page along with the song America.

Hope this is helpful,

Sue

Thank you, what a thorough review! Did you buy the cd? They did not have the cd at the homeschool store. We actually like biblical content, I did not realize it had it. Thanks again!

Mine was so old, it had cassettes. Never having studied Latin, they were invaluable. I actually had the TM and cassettes on the For Sale board really cheap for several months and tossed them last week. Wish I'd hung on to them. I'd a sent them to you.