Menu

History Odessey question...

LillianinAL

We did HO level 2 Ancient & Middle Ages this year. I meshed it with SL 6 (all the readers and read alouds). I also added LL's Medieval Lit. We are nearly done, and I think over all it went well. A few bks were dropped (all SL) for the boredom factor. For 7th I may do this same while using Trisms History Makers (the last 2/3, but I still have not decided for sure.

I also added LL's Medieval Lit.

Jenny,

Can you tell me more about LL's Medieval Lit? I was thinking of using LL7 next year along with HO 2 Middle Ages. I didn't know about LL Medieval Lit. Please, tell me more.

I am madly investigating and editing this message...I see that you have a 12yo, but LL Medieval is for high school. Did he actually read Chaucer or did he read McCaughrean's retelling of Canterbury Tales. Which version of Beowulf did he read? Ds is definitely not "advanced" in the literature arena. So, I'm wondering if he's capable.

Thanks!

Those who do HO in the Logic Stage, do you add lots of extra books from SL or WTM lists, etc.? Thanks, Lillian

HO has some supplemental reading, but not much. I scour my old SOTW Activity Guide, use WTM lists, and just search through my library's online catalog.

We read tons and tons of supplemental books in grammar stage. Unfortunately, ds is not as enthusiastic in the logic stage. :ack2:

Jenny,

Can you tell me more about LL's Medieval Lit? I was thinking of using LL7 next year along with HO 2 Middle Ages. I didn't know about LL Medieval Lit. Please, tell me more.

I am madly investigating and editing this message...I see that you have a 12yo, but LL Medieval is for high school. Did he actually read Chaucer or did he read McCaughrean's retelling of Canterbury Tales. Which version of Beowulf did he read? Ds is definitely not "advanced" in the literature arena. So, I'm wondering if he's capable.

Thanks!

My dd12 and I read the bks together. She reads on a college level and at times can be hard to challenge. I skipped some of the writing assignments and we focus on more on the exposure to things like allegory, tone in plot, etc. We plan on going backwards and doing LL7 in the fall. It was challenging for her, but she has complained that many of the SL titles are repetitive and not interesting enough.

We did HO level 2 Ancient & Middle Ages this year. I meshed it with SL 6 (all the readers and read alouds). I also added LL's Medieval Lit. We are nearly done, and I think over all it went well. A few bks were dropped (all SL) for the boredom factor. For 7th I may do this same while using Trisms History Makers (the last 2/3, but I still have not decided for sure.

Did you schedule the extra readers or did you just use them "book basket" style?

I am planning on sitting down with HO2 Ancients and All Through the Ages and coming up with something I am happy with.

She disliked the Boy in trouble... must save family. We have used SL since 2nd grade and she has read a lot of these similar plots, and has complained that they are getting old. If you have a son, that might not be the case. So I don't want to color your choices. Does that make sense? I think the two she like least were Master Cornhill and Otto of the Silver Hand. She loved the Westing Game, Shakespeare Stealer, The Trojan War, A Single Shard, and The Second Mrs. Giaconda.