Menu

S/O-If your child wears glasses???? Feeling very guilty.

Tabrett

Ok. Glasses are coming..... doc said I should see GREAT improvement.

Dd always had trouble recognizing phonograms like igh or ing. If I said, "What does igh or ing say?" she could tell me. I guess she just couldn't focus well enough to look at the letters and tell me with out me saying the letters aloud.

Should I go back a do a crash corse in phonics to make sure she knows what the actual phonograms LOOK like?:tongue_smilie: or should I just point it out while she is reading?

I'm excited about her glasses coming in! I really hope this help her!!!

We just found out that my son has severe astigmatism. I always thought he could see just fine so I was shocked and feeling guilty as well.

I would not say that the improvement has been dramatic, but I think things have picked up a little bit with reading so I am pleased. :)

Don't feel bad. You can't see through their eyes.

My parents didn't discover I needed glasses til 2nd grade - well after I had learned to read without being able to see the blackboard at all - because everyone else could read the ad on a building across the street and I had no idea what they were talking about.

A friend, a few years younger than me, down the street got her glasses, and realized that the green up above tree trunks were individual leaves and telephone poles had wires! (So when she drew a green ball on a stick and called it a tree, that was what she actually saw!)

My parents didn't do phonics over again after I got glasses (actually, I don't think the school ever did phonics at all) and my spelling and reading didn't suffer. It's more likely that the glasses will make reading easier (physically) so she has an easier time focusing on the details.

Yes, i would go back and do a crash course, just a quick one. We found out my DD needed glasses at 3yo she already knew her shapes, letters and numbers but we went back over it to be sure because her glasses were so strong. I think it helped her immensely because she started reading not long after that. You can never have too strong a foundation.