Menu

Resistant Writer - help?

redsnapper

My ds 7 resists writing and I'm looking for advice and/or suggestions for ways to get him writing without him hating the process.

He is a very verbal kid, talking all the time, but he just resists creating sentences. I know he's capable because I've seen him produce 11 sentences when asked just for three, once his creative switch got turned on.

Some of his trouble, I believe, is holding the pencil. He still doesn't hold it correctly. And his printing still seems child-like.

So, I am working on his grip, as well as introducing cursive, to see if the physical struggle to write is what makes him resist it. We even use writing pens sometimes to see if the smoother writing makes it easier, too.

I guess here are my specific questions:

1. is this just a phase that he'll grow out of by 8 or 9?

2. should I just keep trying creative ideas to grab his attention?

3. anyone have great ideas to share?

Thanks!

-Melissa

You are not alone. As we all know, even from my numerous posts, I have a 4th grader that does not write well. Her cursive is better than her print, but ps never formally taught, or teaches, children to write in our district.

So, with that being said, you can find my posts on the board ... one that explains the visual and motor coordination "fun."

Also, I started teaching her drawing. We are working on contour drawing now. This will help dd to see the lines of things, which should turn into being able to "sit" letters on lines. We put puzzles together and do the "Crayola" tracing thingy ( I forget the name.). There are numerous activities that will improve the hand-eye coordination.

Do not worry. As long as you can read it, do what you can to improve it using other activities. Additionally, practice in short time spans will be the greatest producer of improvement.

A sentence a day keeps the red ink away! (Dd came up with this one.)

Just in case, grab a typing program! LOL

Well - if it is an assignment that does not require handwriting pracice - allow him to dictate to you. Just to encourage the though processes of writing.

Teach him to type.

Look for signs of dysgraphia - catch it early.

Put less emphasis on spelling and neatness if the assingment isn't about spelling or neatness.

There are a couple of wonderful books that turn writing into sociable, creative games.

Peggy Kaye, Games For Writing (this is golden!)

Peter Stillman, Families Writing

Marjorie Frank, If You're Trying to Teach Kids to Write, You've Got to Have This Book

Problems with pencil grip can lead to writing fatigue very quickly, so keep everything short and fun. You can also have your child do a lot of other fun, fine motor practice: the Kumon cutting books, if he doesn't find those too babyish; Chicken Socks and Klutz kits of all kinds; Legos; a game called The Touch, where you identify small objects by feel; building and inventing with everything from wood and nails to pipe cleaners and tape and string; marbles; working with Sculpey clay (this is stiff so really works hand and finger muscles); even playing card games and Chinese checkers (Chinese checkers is a Montessori strategy for improving pencil grip).

I think you're absolutely on the right track to want to keep writing adventurous, creative, and enjoyable for a child who seems to come alive with this approach and otherwise finds writing a chore. There's plenty of time in later grades for a more workmanlike, narration and outline-focused plan. At this age it is truly important to keep the love and engagement alive.