Menu

Typeset son's resume?

Sonshine

A friend who reviewed my son's college application resume suggested I typeset it. What is typesetting? Would it really look that much better than the document I created on the conventional computer word program?

Traditional typesetting uses hot-metal type — how old was this person??? :lol: If the resume you showed them was just a Word.doc, maybe what they really meant was that you should have it designed in a layout program like Pagemaker or Pages (mac), with a nice layout and nicer fonts? Do you know anyone who could do that for you?

Jackie

I'm pretty new around here, but I have some experience with this, so I'd like to offer my two cents....

Before putting in the effort to lay out his resume (which I might suggest is a task for him, not you :001_smile:), perhaps he could ask someone from the industry in which he'd like to work about the standards for resumes. I've hired people in both creative and analytical fields, and the standards for resumes are very different. For the technology position I'm hiring for right now, for example, I'd probably throw out a resume if it were laid out too creatively, but would love that same layout for the advertising jobs I used to hire for, and vice versa. The resume should convey the characteristics that the ideal candidate should have. Also, since you don't know what the biases and opinions of the manager are, I'd shy away from any layouts and fonts that might cause a negative reaction. Keep it strictly professional unless, again, it's for a creative position.

If he does decide that snazzing it up a little bit is a good idea, a Word template would absolutely be sufficient.

The resume is actually just to go along with his college applications. He's applying for some very competitive scholarships so I want it to look good.

Just find a MS word template, there are a bunch already in the program. It'll be fine. They won't be judging him on what font he uses (unless it is something ridiculous). Just make sure you are consistent with spacing and periods and how the dates are written and all that.