Menu

Can I do LLATL w/o the lit portion?

acat

Hi,

I am considering starting my 8 and 10 year old girls on LLATL. My 5th grader will do fine with the purple book and the readers fit in with our focus this year. I think my 3rd grader needs more foundation in grammar before attempting the 5th grade book. I do not what to read the books in the orange level because they are well below her reading and comprehension level. Is it possible to do the grammar portion of the program without using the recommended readers? Or should I consider another grammar program for her and use the purple book's readers along with the 5th grader? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Andrea

I think it would be hard to just do the grammar portion because the lessons are integrated around literature passages and include grammar, composition, spelling, and other skills all based around the literature. It is not set up into clear 'grammar', 'composition' etc sections.

Hope that makes sense :confused:

I did think the books from Orange were below my 3rd grader last year.. but he enjoyed them anyway and we read them through quickly.. so it was an easy thing for him to do, and the work in the orange was more of a challenge.. so it balanced out..

That said, we are skipping some of the books in Purple this year.. and just not doing those book studies.. so you could make it work.. or adapt the questions to fit a book you have chosen instead..