Menu

:DHello! I am going to be taking Apologia's Biology this year (going into 10th grade, I am also doing Chemistry this year but that doesn't pertain to this post) and I am having trouble choosing a microscope! I know that a microscope isn't required for the course but I think that I would benefit from doing the microscope labs. Anyways the microscope that is recommended is a bit expensive for us (my mom is a single parent) and I found this other microscope that I was thinking could work. So my question is how do these two microscopes compare? Would the cheaper one work for apologia? What’s the difference between the two? Sorry, but I don’t really understand microscopes! Any help would be appreciated, as well as any other suggestions! :)

Apologia reccomended: https://apologia.securesites.net/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_29&products_id=44

Lower cost microscope:http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=104720

Thanks for any help! (:

Also, I would like to introduce myself! My username is for-the-win (obviously) and I am entering the 10th grade (as stated above). I choose my curriculum, and my mother oversees any choices that I make. Every year I order a ton of home school catalogs and pour over them making my choices! I get amazingly hyped up about it too. My mom doesn't understand why, but I personally find it very interesting/ slightly exciting... okay, now I sound like a total nerd! xD Overall I find this forum to be interesting and informational. Thanks :)

OK - I will preface this by saying that I do not claim to be a microscope expert, but I have researched them quite a bit this year for biology, and used them in college.

The two microscopes you are comparing appear to me to be very similar. They offer equal magnification, both use a disc diaphragm, and a 20 watt bulb. The Apologia scope does have a brand name, so maybe more durability and quality construction, but the features are pretty much identical. The Sam's microscope says you can add a mechanical stage to it. I HIGHLY recommend that you do this!

If you decide to go with a 200.00 microscope, I would recommend the one from Sonlight. It offers many more features than the one from Apologia, and is well built.

Hope this helps - and I'm so impressed that you take such initiative in researching and choosing your curriculum!

Melanie

I will also preface this by saying I don't have experience with microscopes, but in my research to order one for my children's biology using Apologia I gained some knowledge.

We are taking the biology class through a co-op. The teacher said this one was good, and it was much less expensive than the Sonlight or Apologia models.

It is found at http://www.bhphotovideo.com

It is the Celestron Model 44104 Advanced Biological Microscope. $128.95 with free shipping.

Edited to add: My research showed that the mechanical stage was a feature people liked, however, our teacher said it wasn't critical. Good optics was more important. Another thing that was good was to get an electrical light (not just a mirror) and that LED lights kept cooler. Some models were either a fire hazard or they warmed up the specimen too much damaging it.

I ordered mine this week so it hasn't arrived yet.

Edited by Evergreen State Sue

I appreciate your replies! I have seen the Sonlight Ultra Microscope before, I just didn't really look into that one too much because of the price! But after researching it a bit more I think that the price may be worth it. So I am going to see if we have any extra money in our budget this year, and who knows maybe we'll buy it! Thanks for the other replies as well. You all honestly gave me something to think about. ♥ :)