Menu

grammar for dyslexic 12yo

Guest alu

My son is very dyslexic, and I have avoided formal grammar to this point. He knows the basic parts of speech, and reads well (although he can't pronounce the words), but writing is tough for him. Does anyone have recommendations? Thanks.

I'd sugget JAG (Junior Analytical Grammar) or Winston Basic. Both begin with sentence diagramming/labeling with basic sentences. I understand that AG will be publishing another section of JAG that will deal with usage and punctuation later this year.

I've successfully used JAG and AG with my 13 yo dyslexic ds.

Links for you:

http://www.analyticalgrammar.com/junior-analytical-grammar

http://www.winstongrammar.com/

Welcome to the WTM forum and HTH (hope that helps).

My oldest is mildly dyslexic 16 point spread in verbal and written IQ. Winton Grammar worked well for him.

I understand about the need to separate the task of putting pencil to paper and teaching grammar. This is very easy to accomplish with WG basic. It uses cards to label the parts of a sentence. Your ds could actually lay out the cards and you could check each sentence from the cards. Then he wouldn't need to write to learn grammar.

HTH-

Mandy

I would recommend Winston Grammar as well. There is also a program done by Sonlight called Grammar Ace, which uses the Schoolhouse Rock songs/cartoons on DVD to teach grammar concepts, along with a corresponding workbook. If you fear the act of writing might interfere with learning the grammar, you could always do the workbook orally. I know those Schoolhouse Rock songs really stick (I still remember many from my childhood) and have been very helpful to my dyslexic dd.

HTH,

My son is very dyslexic, and I have avoided formal grammar to this point. He knows the basic parts of speech, and reads well (although he can't pronounce the words), but writing is tough for him. Does anyone have recommendations? Thanks.

Junior Analytical Grammar is what clicked for me. The unusual sequence is why it worked. I was so literal that when tough to find the subject and predicate first I wouldn't do anything else till I could find those. Of course that was fine with the sentence was only 2-4 words long. It didn't work on normal sentences, because the modifiers would confuse me. I would end up choosing the first noun and verb I could find as subject and verb. JAG has you identify the modifiers first and find the subject and predicate later. I actually do well with grammar now.

Though I also loved the idea of Winston Grammar and bought it too. If JAG didn't work as written I was going to use Winston cards with a JAG sequence. Luckily by doing half a lesson a day my girls have done fine with the amount of writing required in JAG. I even found them some diamond shaped graph paper to use for diagramming.

Heather