Menu

Practice Makes Perfect French Workbooks, Which to start with??

My daughter, who is a ninth grader this year, is studying French through our local library using Mango Languages. I'm wanting to supplement it with some workbooks (The Practice Makes Perfect series)to give her some written exercises to practice with but not sure which of their workbooks to begin with. I'm thinking maybe nouns and articles? Not sure. Any advice from those who may have used those would be great.

Thanks so much for any help!

I'd start with the Complete French Grammar. The specific topics are much more in depth on one topic - what you need first is an overview, which the Complete Grammar would give you.

I really like the Practice Makes Perfect series.

Another recommendation might be Breaking the French Barrier - it's a whole curriculum, and would give you the grammar plus vocab in a nice orderly fashion. It's also very reasonably priced.

Actually I had almost purchased Breaking the Barrier French but then heard about the Practice Makes Perfect workbooks and thought I might give them a try. Does the PMP workbooks provide vocabulary practice as well or just grammar?

I haven't looked closely at the Complete Grammar books, but my strong guess is that they're just grammar. By definition these are practice books, not complete curriculum. I have the Preposition and Pronoun book for Spanish, and the Verb book for German (my kids are fairly well along in both langauges), and they focus on those grammar topics and don't mess around with what they don't promise (vocab for example).

You could take a look at the books in a B&N and see what you think...